F1 Largemouth bass in Lake Norman?

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Currituck and Mattamaskeet is another once great fishery destroyed by the very folks that claim to know better

I’ve said that on here and other forums a thousand times. Currituck and mattamuskeet were the two best bass fisheries I’ve ever seen in my life. It was unbelievable how good they were. The grass died in both places basically overnight and the water turned into carrot soup and the bass(and ducks) were gone right along with it and have never come back and never will. Just another classic example of what killing grass does to a what was a terrific resource. But it’s hard to tell this to people that didn’t experience it. Just like people who didn’t fish Harris 15+ years ago. All they know is some guy and his wife caught 40 lbs in a tournament on back to back weekend and all of a sudden it’s the “4th best lake in the country now” that lake was past dead when it was ranked 4th in the country.

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
I’ve said that on here and other forums a thousand times. Currituck and mattamuskeet were the two best bass fisheries I’ve ever seen in my life. It was unbelievable how good they were. The grass died in both places basically overnight and the water turned into carrot soup and the bass(and ducks) were gone right along with it and have never come back and never will. Just another classic example of what killing grass does to a what was a terrific resource. But it’s hard to tell this to people that didn’t experience it. Just like people who didn’t fish Harris 15+ years ago. All they know is some guy and his wife caught 40 lbs in a tournament on back to back weekend and all of a sudden it’s the “4th best lake in the country now” that lake was past dead when it was ranked 4th in the country.
It’s a shame how the fishing in N.C. has deteriorated over the years by being over managed.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
It’s a shame how the fishing in N.C. has deteriorated over the years by being over managed.

Yep, we had the greatest bass fishing in the world at one point in time with currituck, mattamuskeet, Jordan, Harris, falls, tuckertown and a long list of others. Now there are none on that list that resemble what they were at one time except Jordan and it’s still not an easy place to catch quantity of fish. We still have some great fishing but it isn’t because of the lakes on that list.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone that fished Shearon Harris prior to 2017 can tell you that eradicating hydrilla killed that lake. I go back at least once a spring to just get my fill of what used to be my favorite lake only to leave and be disheartened. The whole grass is terrible for the power plant would be believable if the lake was actually used as a cooling lake for the reactor.
First I've heard about the grass/power plant is on here. The NC D of Water Quality says they noticed a decrease of hydrilla from 1000 acres to 230 and began to take action then.

I've fished there since the 90s and have noticed a lot more fishing (and even more wakeboard and jet skis, but that's another story), but I've not really noticed anything that would signify a change in #s. That would be hard to proved based on just anecdotal evidence anyway.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
First I've heard about the grass/power plant is on here. The NC D of Water Quality says they noticed a decrease of hydrilla from 1000 acres to 230 and began to take action then.

I've fished there since the 90s and have noticed a lot more fishing (and even more wakeboard and jet skis, but that's another story), but I've not really noticed anything that would signify a change in #s. That would be hard to proved based on just anecdotal evidence anyway.

Began to take action on what?

if anyone thinks that lake has even 10% of the bass it had in it 20 years ago then they need serious help. Sure, Corey the biologist will get on a podcast and tell us “it’s a very stable fishery” and he’s completely full of crap. But I guess it is stable since the grass was murdered. It consistently SUCKS.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

as i posted in another thread the history of the grass at harris is detailed in a Craig Holt march/april article in carolina sportsman magazine.

It's far from just anecdotal what has transpired at Harris,

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
as i posted in another thread the history of the grass at harris is detailed in a Craig Holt march/april article in carolina sportsman magazine.

It's far from just anecdotal what has transpired at Harris,

paywalled?

the sub-title says the bass are still there.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I wish the ncwrc paid attention to the night results on lkn 4-6 days a week, if they did they would know that the lkn LM population is and has been just fine for a long time. But they will keep taking people's money to fund these dead end road projects just like a government agency likes to do.

Gus

Six Pointer
Hydrilla and milfoil only invaded the waters I'm familiar with, (Currituck, Albemarle etc) after the native grasses were killed off by pollution, salt water, bottom scraping, etc.
Replacing the invasives with native grasses would be a great thing- IF the natives could survive. Not much evidence they can.
Now they kill off the invasives, that were at least supporting huge populations of fish and fowl, leaving us with a barren mudpuddle that supports nothin. But the jet skiers, pontoon cruisers and waterfront view buyers are sure happy

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Hydrilla and milfoil only invaded the waters I'm familiar with, (Currituck, Albemarle etc) after the native grasses were killed off by pollution, salt water, bottom scraping, etc.
Replacing the invasives with native grasses would be a great thing- IF the natives could survive. Not much evidence they can.
Now they kill off the invasives, that were at least supporting huge populations of fish and fowl, leaving us with a barren mudpuddle that supports nothin. But the jet skiers, pontoon cruisers and waterfront view buyers are sure happy
You hit the nail on the head. Every body of water in North Carolina that Hydrilla or any other type of SAV invaded was made better 10000 fold……after being killed it was left worse than it’s ever been. Currituck, back bay and mattamuskeet were very special places

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure if it was an F-1 or what but I saw a floater on Norman a few weeks ago that was as large as I’ve seen in person in the “wild”