F&S tests turkey loads at 40 yards

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
may not use corn (black sunflower seeds works better :eek: :LOL: :party:) but I will one day shoot one with my 25-20, .32-20, .218 bee,,22 Hornet or 17 squirrel,,,,

just cause it is a VERY traditional method of turkey hunting and I like old traditions,,,

where legal of COURSE,,,,
Already beat you to it, with a .22 mag and a couple other calibers, here and in WV. And it was legal.
figured that,,,,since,,,

OLD guys are the ones that established the OLD traditions!!!

:LOL:
Hey, I think there have been some rocks and mountains grown since I have been here. LOL

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I have killed several hens and long beards over the years in VA with a black powder. And 1 with a crossbow
Yup combo hunting is fun. Old saying in Va and west Va is look for brown till bout 10 look for black till 3 then back to brown till dark

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Which countries makes TSS?
I heard tungsten fishing weights were a chinese product?

that's fine cause lead is ok for a sinker but ..... We fixing to have a run on TSS?
Ohh.....I didn’t think about that.

I think I just have 5 shells. Put it on the list.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I sorta miss the good old days back on the NWTF and GON and Shotgun World and some other boards when everybody told me what I was doing was a lie, or it couldn't be done, or I was going to put an eye out, etc..... Kinda satisfying to see it become mainstream and to revolutionize turkey ammo, and to get the last laugh, so to speak...
you left off cracking a tooth when you bite into a TSS pellet......

pir8rn

Six Pointer
I have a semi-related question: are all major retail (I don't handload) TSS shells created equal?

I know there are several manufactures in the game now, but $40-50 a box make testing/patterning expensive mighty fast.

My son has shown some interest in turkey hunting (zero for deer), and I have a .410 gathering dust, as I love my Longbeard XRs and my 12 gauge.
Thinking that TSS and that 50 year old break-action given to me by my late grandpa might be the way to go, but I don't want to waste $$ by going for a 'cheap' TSS round that doesn't perform...

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
None of them are cheap. I trust Federal. Apex is overpriced even for TSS, and Browning is new to the game.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
The last commercial tss loads I bought were federals. They shoot really well, as did the previous heavy weight shells they offered.
My gun really likes the flight control stuff, others may not.
The tss I bought were purchased dead in the middle of winter from Rogers Sporting Goods. They were $23 per box with free shipping. I bought an arse ton of the stuff.
If you're gonna go commercial you must be a thrifty shopper....now is NOT the time to be buying turkey shells.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We shoot Apex and Federal TSS . Our patterns are more consistent with Apex and It appears to have more penetration. Both will kill birds

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Federal has proven to be trustworthy. Apex has had few quality cintrol issues and are higher. I like Nitro Rays tss loads but you gotta order them early