F-250 7.3l help

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
A friend's 2002 F-250 7.3l, 204,000 miles, stopped on him yesterday. No warning. After I got there we "checked around" to no avail. The water drain valve at the filter was opened, and when ignition was turned on, a good flow of fuel came out. After about 20 minutes it cranked fine. Got about a mile and it shut off again. Also, oil pressure was good. After about 45 minutes, it cranked. Got about another mile and shut off again. Then was pulled home. With a good flow of fuel coming out at the drain valve looks like fuel supply is not a problem. Unless the valve drains before the fuel passes through the filter and the filter is partially blocked. Said he thinks fuel filter should be ok since he changed it. Any ideas?

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Sounds like a CPS sensor as well. Sometimes a Sensor like that will only fault when the motor gets hot. If you let it sit for awhile and cool down it will work again. I had a GMC Sierra that I fully expected to be a fuel filter or pump but in fact was the sensor.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I had a 2000 f-350 7.3 that did the same thing. It was a bad CPS. There was actually a recall on these back in 2011 and got mine fixed for free.

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
Make sure the CPS is a motorcraft. Replaced mine once with an aftermarket one and when it rained the truck would stutter and die. Only did it when it got wet. Put a motorcraft one back in and no issues.

tarheelshooter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I think everybody is on the right track but it is actually a Camshaft Position Sensor and you will need a 10mm socket for the bolt. Verify that there is no chafing of the wiring around that area and where it joins the main harness. I would STRONGLY suggest that you use a Motorcraft sensor. Aftermarket ones can be "finicky".You could also get it from an International dealer but it will be more expensive than the Ford one.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I think everybody is on the right track but it is actually a Camshaft Position Sensor and you will need a 10mm socket for the bolt. Verify that there is no chafing of the wiring around that area and where it joins the main harness. I would STRONGLY suggest that you use a Motorcraft sensor. Aftermarket ones can be "finicky".You could also get it from an International dealer but it will be more expensive than the Ford one.

Exactly. Been there done it. Actually kept a spare and wrench in glove box

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I have a 7,3 and it could be a bunch of things. Mine did this last year and it ended up being a broken fuel Pickup. The gauge siad 1/4 tank but it would run then quit. Start run and quit. Took a while to figure it out.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
and
is where I get my truck info, actually
I want THE MOST info, in the shortest time, from as many folks, with the MOST experience, on a subject.
hope this helps

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
and
is where I get my truck info, actually
I want THE MOST info, in the shortest time, from as many folks, with the MOST experience, on a subject.
hope this helps
Thanks! Think I've seen those sites before on here but couldn't remember them. The guy has a couple of forums and folks he was going to check. I'll post the outcome when he gets it fixed.

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
Might have high pressure oil issues leaking down internally. Injectors are oil fired. If it sits for a bit and goes back to running then thats likely a problem. MOST (not all) the time when a CPS goes bad the tach wont read. Also if it does it again wiggle the 42 pin connector on top of the drivers side valve cover under the intake, wiggle the engine side of it. The shielded wire will crap out there and randomly make it shut down with no codes or explanation

gameland

Twelve Pointer
I have a 7,3 and it could be a bunch of things. Mine did this last year and it ended up being a broken fuel Pickup. The gauge siad 1/4 tank but it would run then quit. Start run and quit. Took a while to figure it out.

Mine is doing that right now. After changing fuel filters and then having to have my wife bring a trailer to haul it home and changing the fuel filter a second time did I think...hmmm, it might be out if fuel. Added some diesel and it ran perfect. I haven’t dropped the tank yet but now I don’t let it get below 1/4 tank. Yea I’m a slow leaner...

richard corn

Ten Pointer
Mine is doing that right now. After changing fuel filters and then having to have my wife bring a trailer to haul it home and changing the fuel filter a second time did I think...hmmm, it might be out if fuel. Added some diesel and it ran perfect. I haven’t dropped the tank yet but now I don’t let it get below 1/4 tank. Yea I’m a slow leaner...

Bad sending unit?

25contender

Twelve Pointer
The pickup and sending unit are all in one cluster. I ended up draining the tank 44gal!! It was half full. Dropped the tank. I felt while the tank was down go ahead and replace all the internals. The tank was surprisingly clean. There was a little sand. The pickup was broken into 4 pieces on the very end.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Mine cut off 3-4 times just as the OP described. I was on my way home from fishing all night. I kept thinking I might make it. I would go a mile or less...cut off again. It was the CPS. Only other issue I had with that truck the aluminum canister that holds the fuel filter some how got a small pin hole it in. It was leaking fuel in the valley of the motor. I spent 1800.00 with one guy trying to fix it. Got it back..still leaking. Took it to another guy...he told me what was wrong with it before he raised the hood and how much it would cost to fix. $320 for the part $80 for labor. He was right.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Found out he's taken it to Lumberton Ford. A friend who worked for Caterpillar and worked on a lot of 7.3l motors thinks it's likely the cps. I'll update the results.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
I'm really surprised nobody stated the obvious.

The blue oval at the front of the truck is your issue!

You Know I went to buy a chevy. My dad and I was both going to order new trucks. Salesman let my dad walk out over a $50 option...we was going to order Z71s and wanted off road tires. Man said he didn't figure off road tires....we walked out and bought two new fords. Best truck I ever owned and I would still have it today but I gave it to my son who totaled it. My dad still has his with 79 K original miles...I bought it from him and sold it back to him. It setting in his basement...still smells new inside. Interesting after 97 diesel trucks sales took off and the price of fuel went up with them. In 97 you could save enough in fuel cost to pay for the diesel option. Today most of them get less fuel mileage, pay more for fuel, and twice as much for the truck....LOL.

Reactions: PG2

double

Twelve Pointer
You Know I went to buy a chevy. My dad and I was both going to order new trucks. Salesman let my dad walk out over a $50 option...we was going to order Z71s and wanted off road tires. Man said he didn't figure off road tires....we walked out and bought two new fords. Best truck I ever owned and I would still have it today but I gave it to my son who totaled it. My dad still has his with 79 K original miles...I bought it from him and sold it back to him. It setting in his basement...still smells new inside. Interesting after 97 diesel trucks sales took off and the price of fuel went up with them. In 97 you could save enough in fuel cost to pay for the diesel option. Today most of them get less fuel mileage, pay more for fuel, and twice as much for the truck....LOL.

You could also say your dad walked out on a great deal over $50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gameland

Twelve Pointer
This was the fix for the truck.
"High pressure oil pump and cam position sensor."

I know all about that high pressure oil pump. My truck had it go out pulling our camper last year on the way to the beach. I went thru three gallons of oil between Rockingham and Holden beach. Paid $1400 to have one out on while on vacation? then the new oil pump went out again on the way back home??!! Cost me another $500 after towing it to the house to get a third pump put on. Was reimbursed for the part but not labor because Oreillys required an ASE certified garage to work on the truck for them to pay labor. Didn’t know that until I had already paid an ASE certified diesel mechanic to do the work at his house.

Oh yea and don’t let me leave out that the refrigerator went out the first day we were at the beach so we were without a vehicle for three days and had to keep all our food in coolers. Clark Griswald has nothing on my vacation...