Exploding Crossbow?

CAP305

Six Pointer
So, there I was at 5 am opening day on public. Cocked the crossbow and set it down to gear up for the beautiful first set of the season. As I'm digging into my pack for my steps I hear a kapow! Look down and realize my day is over. Don't think the cam is supposed to point this direction. Warranty claim call Monday morning pending. Breaking out my ol faithful 1987 vintage Proline Point Blank 78 lb zero letoff in the interim. She's loud, slow, and heavy but she's still more lethal than my wrecked fiberglass xbow in my garage.

Attachments

• 20220910_084137.jpg
    20220910_084137.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 20220910_045857.jpg
    20220910_045857.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 203

CAP305

Six Pointer
It was a centerpoint. And I'm damn glad I wasn't holding it when it went boom. Don't know what it would have done if a bolt was seated.

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I had a limb break on my first crossbow. It makes a heck of a sound. I had a bolt loaded and safety on. Bolt didn't move when limb broke. Scared the heck out of me. Glad you are ok.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Put a little wood glue on that limb and rock on!

Any idea why it broke? Seems odd to break while cocked. Better then than while your pulling the trigger.

CAP305

Six Pointer
Put a little wood glue on that limb and rock on!

Any idea why it broke? Seems odd to break while cocked. Better then than while your pulling the trigger.
Guessing one limb had an internal flaw. It broke almost too clean with no splinters. The other limb on that side splintered from trying to hold all the weight when the other limb let go.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Was it a Gladiator 405?

I had one and it failed similarly last year. Centerpoint provided a new one under warranty, but it's another model. They quit making the Gladiator.

I think I know why.

20210930_215911.jpg

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
When I was getting mine repaired under warranty, I asked the tech at the bow shop what could cause the failure. After answering a few questions and ruling out the obvious. He asked where I stored it in the off season. I replied the attic. He said the extreme heat in the summer could cause it. FYI

CAP305

Six Pointer
Was it a Gladiator 405?

I had one and it failed similarly last year. Centerpoint provided a new one under warranty, but it's another model. They quit making the Gladiator.

I think I know why.

View attachment 99116
Sure was! Glad to hear you got yours under warranty. I logged a case with them today via their web site. Spent 35 min on hold and gave up on the phone method. We'll see.

CAP305

Six Pointer
When I was getting mine repaired under warranty, I asked the tech at the bow shop what could cause the failure. After answering a few questions and ruling out the obvious. He asked where I stored it in the off season. I replied the attic. He said the extreme heat in the summer could cause it. FYI
I kept mine in the walk in closet so no UV or heat in this case.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
My friend had his Tenpoint blow apart when he pulled the trigger on it this afternoon. He was just rechecking his scope before he went hunting.
He was not injured.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve seen quite a few explode over the years when I worked in a bow shop. Many times it was either the bolt wasnt properly seated, or the strings/cables were damaged. Some were very prone to failure like the old Parker crossbows. Those things broke all the time.

Not to hijack the thread but how often do you have them restrung? Is it more time or times cocked? I Know they recommend every 2 years but do yall do that I don't. I only use it during bow season once rifle starts I put It up. I keep it waxed and lubed and haven't had any issues. How long are yall getting out of strings?

Last edited:

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Not to hijack the thread but how often do you have them restrung? Is it more time or times cocked? I Know they recommend every 2 years but do yall do that I don't. I only use it during bow season once rifle starts I put It up. I keep it waxed and lubed and haven't had any issues. How long are yall getting out of strings?
I just had them replaced on my Ravin R9. It sure seems wasteful to replace strings and cables that look just as good as the new ones, especially at $100 plus. BUT, the mfg recommend every two years or less and so has every bow tech that I’ve asked. I guess it’s cheap insurance for something so dangerous.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I just had them replaced on my Ravin R9. It sure seems wasteful to replace strings and cables that look just as good as the new ones, especially at $100 plus. BUT, the mfg recommend every two years or less and so has every bow tech that I’ve asked. I guess it’s cheap insurance for something so dangerous.
I think I paid 20$ for my Excal strings.

PA hunter

Button Buck
Had an inexpensive compound bow by Darton from 1990 until it self-destructed under full draw in 2016 while practicing off my deck. Killed 3 deer with it. Steel cable detached and the archery shop said they don't fix anything with steel cable, no one using it anymore. Mathews I have now is more accurate.