Experiences with coyotes ?

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Me and @Bluedogman were talking about hounds (go figure) and I was asking him about if he ever had issues with coyotes when he was running one dog by itself. We figured it would be a good question to ask some of you more season fellers. Maybe @nccatfisher can weigh in ?

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Never had any issues when we were coon hunting the bluetick. Never had any problems with the deer hounds when they got off on there own, even if running a yote.

Reactions: RJ1

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, several. I hunted solo dogs for years. After they got thick out here they would come harass my dogs on the tree never had them actually attack or try to run them off the tree but twice.

Had them get so close or interested in the dogs treeing that I was able to slip in and shoot them a few times but most times you will never see them.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRS

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Yeah, several. I hunted solo dogs for years. After they got thick out here they would come harass my dogs on the tree never had them actually attack or try to run them off the tree but twice.

Had them get so close or interested in the dogs treeing that I was able to slip in and shoot them a few times but most times you will never see them.
Thanks for your response. I figured if anyone had experience with them it would be you. Interesting to hear they got curious about dogs treeing. Makes sense tho

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I have not run dogs for several years now. But there at the end we were running a lot of 'yotes. Never had one even attempt to fight. At least not that we know of. And if we saw a single dog running one we got him some help quick. I have to admit I loved running them on the outside. In the wire, I prefer reds.

Reactions: DRS

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I have not run dogs for several years now. But there at the end we were running a lot of 'yotes. Never had one even attempt to fight. At least not that we know of. And if we saw a single dog running one we got him some help quick. I have to admit I loved running them on the outside. In the wire, I prefer reds.

Thx for the feedback

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was at my camp and on my phone, old fingers don't type well on that thing. One of the times they came in on the dog on the tree they made the mistake of trying my old big male years ago. It was in the spring during whelping season so I expect it was a single female that jumped him. He stopped treeing and all hell broke loose. To I got there he was back treeing and the leaves were all torn up and there was blood splatted everywhere. He didn't have a mark on him. He could get exceptionally rough if he had to. The other time it was my male that is my old dog that I have now when he was young. They ran him slam off the tree back to me. He would fight to he died now so I am glad it hasn't happened since.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I was at my camp and on my phone, old fingers don't type well on that thing. One of the times they came in on the dog on the tree they made the mistake of trying my old big male years ago. It was in the spring during whelping season so I expect it was a single female that jumped him. He stopped treeing and all hell broke loose. To I got there he was back treeing and the leaves were all torn up and there was blood splatted everywhere. He didn't have a mark on him. He could get exceptionally rough if he had to. The other time it was my male that is my old dog that I have now when he was young. They ran him slam off the tree back to me. He would fight to he died now so I am glad it hasn't happened since.
That’s kinda what sparked the conversation with me and Bluedogman. Talkin about having a solo dog that would fight to the death and being outnumbered by a pack of yotes. Glad to hear he came back and was able to grow old!

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve had a single dog jump them bird hunting...but they seemed predisposed to bolt away...this was in North Dakota where they’re hunted with dogs (lurcher type crosses like Aerdale x Greyhound) and trapped since their furs get valuable up there.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I’ve had a single dog jump them bird hunting...but they seemed predisposed to bolt away...this was in North Dakota where they’re hunted with dogs (lurcher type crosses like Aerdale x Greyhound) and trapped since their furs get valuable up there.
Yeah I’ve looked at quite a few videos of them hunting em like that up there. Pretty cool. Added bonus too if it makes em more likely to avoid other types of hunting dogs