Exhausting hunt...but I got him.

ditchbank

Banned
Saw these birds yesterday at my lease and decided to try them this morning after work.

I arrived at 6:30 and started walking into the woods, got to where I thought they may have been roosting and heard the Tom gobble. I started easing my way towards him because he seemed liked a long ways off. As I was easing through the woods I heard wig flaps and saw a turkey fly down at about 150yrds through the timber. I just sat there not knowing if it was hens or what. I called to the birds and it gobbled while still in the tree. I knew I couldn’t walk any farther so I just stood there Listing and thinking what to do. I eased back to the open woods and called and the birds were closing the distance.

I got set up beside a huge pine and and didn’t call. They were gobbling non stop and coming. I looked into the field and there they came. 2Toms and 6 Jakes. MAN WHAT A SIGHT!! Tried to coax them to me but they were more intent on moving out to the middle of the field.

While strutting in the field they were met up with four hens. Eventually the fours hens split and two went to my right and two went to my left feeding along the field edge. The Toms and Jakes pursued the ones that went left. From then on I was hunting hens and had to predict their movement. I decided to get up and ease back into the woods and run around the field and try to get in front of the hens. As I got to and opening (after a 400 yrd sprint) the hens walked right by me with Toms and Jakes in tow.....the Toms were in the rear. Finally the last Tom was strutting by at 35-40yrds and I yelped to get him out of strut to make a clean shot on his neck and head. I shot and he did a back flip and I was overwhelmed that it worked. But the Tom immediately got up and staggered into the woods. I didn’t know if he was dead or not. I gave it 30 minutes and walked over to find him not 20yrds in the woods. An awesome hunt with a lot of Redheads.

7ba16ee6df9da4749692afffad5ab91a.jpg
5d31bac412d2586a0fe182f6a6d5f88b.jpg
IMG_5871.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

44spec

Four Pointer
Sounds like one of my hunts. Sometimes my calling does nothing. But I just go hunt them and it takes some work but it pays off. Great job Congrats.

pir8rn

Six Pointer
I count 12 turkeys at once that you saw. And someone said numbers were down this year... Haha.

Congrats on a nice bird!