Every day gets us closer to turkey season

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
With all the snow and damp weather outdoors lately, I've been looking back at some old hunting pictures, which causes me look forward to the start of the 2019 turkey season more than usual. It's true that we get closer to Opening Day with each passing day, but this time of year always seems to drag on. There's some welcome diversions between here and there, though building anticipation makes the days just creep along. Even though February is the shortest month, it always seems to take the longest to get through. Burning powder at the range patterning guns helps burn off some frustration and going fishing when the weather is bearable are welcome distractions. I only fish because I can't turkey hunt year 'round. The Dixie Deer Classic in Raleigh combined with warming weather feeds the addiction and stokes my fire for the upcoming turkey season. If the season were to open tomorrow, I'd be ready to go in the 10 minutes it would take to sort out and gather up my turkey hunting gear. I'm thankful to have this forum to share thoughts & get support from other turkey junkies. Meanwhile, tick-tock, counting the days...

Jim

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
My vest is always ready and packed bottle of water and I'd be out door now. May sound crazy but I enjoy scouting bout as much as the hunting its self. I hunt public lot and the challenge of figuring out birds with changing spring pattern in flocks with woods still nice and peaceful is blast for me. Sometimes I wish season would not open yet hearing all them uninterrupted gobbles is music to my ears.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I hear ya'. Don't get me wrong, I get in the woods plenty before the season. I hunt without calling or carrying a gun. Just the anticipation without being able to hunt for real is frustrating.

Jim

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
You are right, February is the month that gets me. It seems to drag by so slowly. I can live with March...but February ? NO....

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I hear ya'. Don't get me wrong, I get in the woods plenty before the season. I hunt without calling or carrying a gun. Just the anticipation without being able to hunt for real is frustrating.

Jim
No doubt there is just little better feel to that camo on opening morning after long year. Seems like that morning you slip it on is better than Christmas as a 9 year old

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Glad to see you got a new rtic cooler coming. Good for putting turkey meat in on a road trip....
Now I got something to dream about til opening day. You 'reckon 4 toms can fit in there ? ??

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Glad to see you got a new rtic cooler coming. Good for putting turkey meat in on a road trip....
Now I got something to dream about til opening day. You 'reckon 4 toms can fit in there ? ??
Well the ones that don't get fried up at camp and consumed will

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
My vest is always ready and packed bottle of water and I'd be out door now. May sound crazy but I enjoy scouting bout as much as the hunting its self. I hunt public lot and the challenge of figuring out birds with changing spring pattern in flocks with woods still nice and peaceful is blast for me. Sometimes I wish season would not open yet hearing all them uninterrupted gobbles is music to my ears.
that's me. It's hard to screw up a listening/scouting trip.
when the action starts for real it is easy to get less than happy when they abuse you. :LOL:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yall need to stop torturing yourselves. Turkey season is a long ways off:sneaky:

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
i had a dream about turkey hunting last night. i took 3 shots at a giant gobbler and miseed every time.

Datrip

Six Pointer
Good words Jim....when the calendar flips here in a few short days there are a couple of things I do to help pacify the increasing need to hear those first gobbles. I go to the Unicoi Call Maker Show in Helen, GA second weekend in January. It is an opportunity to talk to and run calls from some of the top custom call makers in the country. It is an awesome time. Next, I go to Nashville and attend the NWTF Convention in February. I enjoy every facet of the Convention, but really really enjoy the Calling Competitions. I also begin to practice my calling in earnest in January. Those are some things that help ease the wait for me.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Well, if nothing else, we're 24 days closer from when I started this thread....

As much as I'd like to get to Unicoi, there's no way I can make the escape that time of year, as I'm coming off an extended holiday break. Maybe one of these days? I'd love to hit the convention sometime too, but it hasn't been in the cards. That's probably just as well, because I know I'd find some calls I'd have to buy, when I already own more than enough to last a few lifetimes. I'm already that way with fishing tackle too, though it likely won't keep me away from the upcoming boat show in Raleigh. What I really need is more time to use the stuff I've already got. Nothing against keeping call makers in business (God knows I've been doing a good job of that), there just always seems to be that one call that sounds a little sweeter, or is a little fancier, which might work better than what I've bought in the past. Nevermind that the calls I already own have a bunch of notches on them for a good reason. I suppose some of it is also about spending some nervous energy getting MORE prepared for turkey season (if that's possible).

I'm grateful to have forums like this to help spend the energy, get more opinions, and share the addiction. These past few warmer, dry days haven't helped me though. Yeah, they feel better and aren't as brutal as the soggy days, though they don't seem to help the season get here any faster. Maybe I need to put the kayak in the water somewhere to paddle around to find a fish or two as I listen for turkeys up in the woods. Now, if I could just figure a way to get out of work to go do it.

Jim

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Every year our hens move from corn piles to our chickens scratch grains in the yard. Love to watch and listen to them talk to each other. Normally 3 to 5, this years group is close to 10. Hope to see the fellas soon

Attachments

• 0114190828.jpg
    0114190828.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 0114190827.jpg
    0114190827.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 13

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
The only thing that will keep me from getting any antsy is scouting. Time to start burning boot leather. Mingle deer and turkey scouting together with shooting squirrels. Got lots of places to check out and it never hurts to find birds now...follow them til spring. They may stay, they may not, but at least I have a head start and Im not just sitting around the house dreaming during these 2 "slack" months.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
First gobbler I've seen on this property since my daughter missed one on youth day.

Attachments

• MFDC3158.JPG
    MFDC3158.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 11