Ever hear a deer make this sound?

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Yesterday morning while turkey hunting I heard what sounded like somebody trying to start a Poulan chain saw....the heavily-discounted display model my dad bought for cheap from Lowe's in the mid-70s. It was a piece of crap. Pull, pull, pull......cuss, repeat..... It would nearly never start.

Anyway, that's the sound this deer was making. I heard it coming before I could see it, and literally thought there was somebody over there with a chain saw. Then I saw the deer and determined for certain it was the maker of the sound. Then it blew once and hurried off through the woods continually yanking on that Poulan's starter rope. I heard it continually until the deer was out of sight and continued hearing it until it was out of hearing distance. It was the weirdest thing. Following the deer were two big yard dogs (two of about seven that I routinely see or get on camera) silently giving chase and trailing where the deer had gone. So the deer was being chased. Don't know if that had anything to do with the deer making these odd vocalizations, but is a matter of fact.

I would be curious to know if any of y'all have ever heard a deer produce this sound. Again, it was the exact sound of trying to start a won't-start chain saw.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I think that deer heard you trying to work that slate call and got choked up laughing.
Ouch! Seems I remember a character nicknamed "Rubline" in that Mean Girls movie my wife was watching awhile back. That wasn't you was it? So hurtful! :LOL:

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think Castle hit it, as that is what I was thinking. Imagine having something in your nostril and trying to blow it out...

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I sat and watched a Doe meander through one year that had a leaf half way out of one nostril...she was constantly blowing to try and get it out

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
Have heard a similar noise but couldn't see the source. Those nasal "worms" are really nasty, and I am sure that I would sound like that if I had them. Probably one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen while cutting up a deer, I was cutting a skull plate from a smaller buck once and cut too deep, went into the throat area and saw them clinging to the back of the mouth/esophagus......ewwwwwwwwww