Ever build a privacy fence?

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
A suggestion to avoid some of the warping of the posts and the stringers is to shop for KDAT lumber (Kiln Dried After Treating) in no worse than a #2 grade. The higher grade (especially for the 4x4) and being dried will greatly reduce warping and twisting that most all 4x4 will do once installed. You will pay more but it is worth it to avoid excessive movement. For the fence pickets I would highly suggest going with #1 grade if the price doesn't bust yoru budget. #2 grade would work but the #1 with less defects will provide better longevity- these don't necessarily have to be KDAT as there is less movement in a board versus a post. The comment to use 4x6 for gates is very good- I'd bury these a tad deeper with full concrete backfill to provide the strength to withstand the weight and movement of a gate...and pay a bit more for stainless steel hardware as it will pay for itself in a few years.

Do not, repeat NOT use the prefab panels from a box store as these are typically made with lower grade, scant thickness material and are assembled with substandard fasteners. On the fasteners you can use ring shank nails or screws and while galvanized will last a good while stainless will least indefinitely (unless you are near the coast where everything will corrode eventually). Again this is dependent upon your budget. It is like the old Fram filter commercials- pay now or pay later.

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
I used 8 ft 4x4's and nearly wore out a set of post hole diggers in the house I used to own.... 2/3 of an acre fenced in done all by myself was a butt kicking job...I was in my 20's at the time and would not do it again by myself!

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I got one side done this weekend, minus the gate. I ended up going with pine, the cedar prices were way more than I anticipated. We did board on board with picture frame border. The yard lost 18 inches of slope over 26 feet so we used the step design, dropping each section down 4.5 inches so it gradually declined.
cadc3cc62b8f90a8ba9156f3ded788c3.jpg

Back of fence
c92e93ae6a7fd94dddfd5aad6b2e3534.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I got one side done this weekend, minus the gate. I ended up going with pine, the cedar prices were way more than I anticipated. We did board on board with picture frame border...

How wide is the gate?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Just a thought, but have you considered vinyl? The cost difference vs the labor may be of interest. After installing, maintenance is nothing.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Finished ‘hidden’ gate. Can only open from inside on this gate.

79cadd7815e9eeedf9e597d4d253f3bb.jpg

Other side. Chose to shorten fence going up hill instead of continuing with 6 foot height. Preference decision. Gate not finished and still need to cut down posts and seal/stain.

00c0180ba988f3c9769742e94e6d7543.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk