Evening Catch: Big Brim & Little Brim

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Went fishing this evening after work at the FAA. I love that spot. It's absolutely beautiful and the fishing has been good so far (using worms instead of cheese!).

Had a bit of an issue with the rod and reel. The line came out completely and I didn't know how to fix it, so I just tied it to the rod, threaded it through the eyes on the reel, and fished like that, just pulling up whenever I had a bite.

I caught a little brim and then what looks to me like a monster brim! This big guy kept yanking the worms off my hook and I could see it was something big since it bent the rod some a few times when I pulled up and it was fighting.

Finally caught it. Biggest brim I've ever seen, but I have not fished much.

Going to look for a good recipe and have them for supper tomorrow night.

Attachments

• IMG_20200914_192529194.jpg
    IMG_20200914_192529194.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20200914_174252919_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200914_174252919_HDR.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 59

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
that is a nice brim.

now, if you're not careful, they're going to pick on you for spelling it "brim" instead of "bream" :cool:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
And since in all the posts, @KrisB seems to be interested in learning as much as possible, I’ll add that the spot I circled, is a sure fire indicator that the fish is a bluegill. I really don’t care what you call it. But just in case you were looking for fish ID8B1463AE-A8B5-4FFC-8133-3A284B2E42DC.jpeg help. There you go.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And since in all the posts, @KrisB seems to be interested in learning as much as possible, I’ll add that the spot I circled, is a sure fire indicator that the fish is a bluegill. I really don’t care what you call it. But just in case you were looking for fish IDView attachment 50449 help. There you go.

what makes them vary in color so much? I caught one the other day that I'm not sure if it was a Bluegil or actually a redbelly it had so much red on it. I've never seen a true redbelly where that one was caught.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
now, if you're not careful, they're going to pick on you for spelling it "brim" instead of "bream" :cool:

I already got picked on for spelling it the way it is supposed to be spelled--bream--instead of the way it is pronounced around here--brim. So it is the only word I spell on here like it's pronounced. You just can't win either way on NCHuntandFish! :LOL:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
@KrisB
We have a pond that has random young anglers play with our brim. Instead of real worms we keep a bottle or two of Berkley Powerbait red wigglers or earthworms. Alot more convenient and not as messy. And as best i can tell the brim dont mind. :)

FWIW You are in fine company using the brim spelling. The dean of NC outdoor writing Robert Ruark used that spelling in his classic tales.

Congrats on your catch.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
@KrisB , I used the spelling of brim on here one day and someone made fun of it. I thought that's what they were called.

Anyway, enjoy catching them.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Dang you’ve been in the woods or on the water a lot lately that’s awesome. That one “fish name that begins with B but I’m staying outta the argument” is a biggin. In regards to your rod and reel...this should help. Not saying it’s the only way to do it or the best way but works for me. Short video on there too.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I already got picked on for spelling it the way it is supposed to be spelled--bream--instead of the way it is pronounced around here--brim. So it is the only word I spell on here like it's pronounced. You just can't win either way on NCHuntandFish! :LOL:

Whatever you do don't marinate them in italian dressing and wrap em in bacon. Good lawd you'll have the purists in vapor lock. ;)

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Whatever you do don't marinate them in italian dressing and wrap em in bacon. Good lawd you'll have the purists in vapor lock. ;)

nothing about "purists" just variety,,,,,,,,,and there is a place for it,,,,,,

but it is cute that for a long time, no matter what type of meat,,,someone would say "marinate in Italian dressing and wrap in bacon",,,,,

Lee

Six Pointer
Kris,
If we can teach you to catch "them" with a fly rod you will achieve perfection. Nothing is better than bream rising to take a fly.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Of all the outdoor tasks you have undertaken @KrisB rest assured using a fly rod for brim will be the quickest , easiest of them all.
Should take about an hr and Lee is spot on on the fun it produces.