EV malfunctions, locks driver inside, rolls backwards down a boat ramp… and ignites

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
peoples fault not the vehicle. Lost traction tells me tires were slick or they were inexperianced with that ramp and or the trailer or both.

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Who the hell backs down a boat ramp in a Tesla? Nothing wrong with the EV here, it’s the dude behind the wheel.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
peoples fault not the vehicle. Lost traction tells me tires were slick or they were inexperianced with that ramp and or the trailer or both.

Driver's fault, yes. What I got from the article is not so much actually losing traction but the act of putting the battery system in the water. The car basically shorted out, lost power and shut down, then rolling back to full destruction. Maybe I'm incorrect, but I could easily see that as the issue.
Just who (well, anyone with common sense anyway) would back a EV into water that would submerge the components anyway.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Driver's fault, yes. What I got from the article is not so much actually losing traction but the act of putting the battery system in the water. The car basically shorted out, lost power and shut down, then rolling back to full destruction. Maybe I'm incorrect, but I could easily see that as the issue.
Just who (well, anyone with common sense anyway) would back a EV into water that would submerge the components anyway.
Wonder if that's covered in the owner's manual?

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Bet your neighbor has enough sense to know he’s pushing the limits too and if he ended up in the lake, he’d know he probably had it coming.

Is he pushing the limits any more than using a Toyota Highlander or 4Runner, Ford Explorer or Chevy Traverse? Now he would be with a Ford Bronco.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Who the hell backs down a boat ramp in a Tesla? Nothing wrong with the EV here, it’s the dude behind the wheel.

This guy would do it but his results would be better. I know this guy well and was at his house this spring. He has 3 Tesla's and I think 2 Rivians now.
Really good guy and one smart as hell individual.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Color me unsurprised......
I mean, all boating season you can watch several videos of this happening every weekend on Qualified Captain and similar.

Usually it’s someone in a Silverado or something.

The only thing that makes this mildly interesting is that it’s a Tesla. It would be just as interesting if he were driving a Corvette.

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Is he pushing the limits any more than using a Toyota Highlander or 4Runner, Ford Explorer or Chevy Traverse? Now he would be with a Ford Bronco.
You’re pushing the limits with anything that doesn’t go into four wheel drive, is my point.