Ethical shots

Wow. Accuse a man of doing something illegal, without a regulation to back it up and then make fun of his deer!
Classy….
First off I didn’t accuse him of doing anything illegal I said he may want to look into it because it is illegal in some states. And I was just poking fun at him about the doe. It was a joke. You sure are sensitive.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Wow. Accuse a man of doing something illegal, without a regulation to back it up and then make fun of his deer!

First off I didn’t accuse him of doing anything illegal I said he may want to look into it because it is illegal in some states. And I was just poking fun at him about the doe. It was a joke. You sure are sensitive.
You are the one that may want to look into things before you start telling other people they should look into it. Simple google search or flip through the regs digest would have given you the answer and there would have been zero need for you to post your worthless opinion.

You are the one that may want to look into things before you start telling other people they should look into it. Simple google search or flip through the regs digest would have given you the answer and there would have been zero need for you to post your worthless opinion.
Your very welcome for the psa. Now you know you can call your buddy to come kill a deer you have located. This should come in handy when your out of buck tags. Sorry to get off topic about ethical shots.

Last edited:

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My hesitation with shooting deer laying down is how their vitals might be "moved around" or my aiming point being distorted because of their positioning. Maybe it's really not like that but I figure the deer will eventually get up and I can take a shot I'm used to. YMMV

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Killed deer in the bed and let some go, but never for ethical reasons. Shot ducks on the water too, can't help they slipped into the spread while I was asleep. The way I look at that if my spread was good enough to get one to land, I did my job right. Back to the bedded deer. Next time don't walk straight toward a bedded deer. Flank it keep an eye on it, be ready if it gets ready to flee. However, most of the time they will wait for you to turn away before escaping. Once they see you, you will know. Watch them out of the corner of your eye. Most will let you get well within shotgun range. The deer I have caught bedded over the years have let me get within yards, just can't go straight at them. Oh, don't stop walking, if you do they have to go. It's a flee or fight response. Big bucks will do the same, that's how I learned not to stop moving. I stopped to chamber a round. Mistake!

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
It’s funny about ethics vs sportsmanship. Shooting at running deer is generally frowned upon, except in deer drives or deer dogging. General rule is you want a still, broadside deer. But birds are different. Shooting a bird off a limb or a duck sitting in water is considered unsportsman like, but it’s not really unethical or illegal.

I will shoot a bedded deer if the angle is correct and its within my comfortable shooting distance.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I've sure been tempted to shoot some that bedded around me. :)
I hate that, you are pinned down and they do it about the time you need to leave on am hunts.
I never do though it sure is annoying.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
It’s funny about ethics vs sportsmanship. Shooting at running deer is generally frowned upon, except in deer drives or deer dogging. General rule is you want a still, broadside deer. But birds are different. Shooting a bird off a limb or a duck sitting in water is considered unsportsman like, but it’s not really unethical or illegal.

I will shoot a bedded deer if the angle is correct and its within my comfortable shooting distance.

That was the issue for me as I walked over to where Shaggy was, the question for me was would I take a head/neck shot or wait her out and hope she stood and did not just bolt....luckily she stood up before I got there and gave me a nice slightly quartered to me broadside.

Due to work I have very few huntable days this year and last year was worse and I did not bag a deer for the first time in decades last year and I only have a few more chances this year and have not pulled the trigger so far this year either, so that was also weighing on my mind and I did not want to let that influence me into a risky shot. Luckily it all worked out and I did not have to deal with any of those issues.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Making a good hit would be the only question for me. Depending on distance,the weapon and a good rest. As far as shooting a deer bedding no brainer and no less ethical than shooting a deer with its head down in a bait pile

chevymec

Spike
I've been in that situation before. Riding through some fields on my 4 wheeler and a nice buck was bedded down about 100yds in some dried beans just soaking up some sun. I put the scope on him but decided not to take the shot. Same thing with does that walk out with a yearling. I'm not in a position that I am starving for meat so I let them have a pass.