Epic Wrestling Thread

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
This is crazy. I can remember rushing home from church to watch wrestling. When they use to visit the armory in waynesville my moms uncle Ralph would have some over for supper. Well One night he had arn and Ollie Anderson over. Whi my mom hated with a passion. She refused to have supper with them. She has pictures of her and ric flair and black jack mulligan, wahoo McDaniel Ricky the dragon steam boat and the list goes on and on. Of course sting was awesome. Met Goldberg one time at food lion in Clyde lol

Uwharrieman

Ten Pointer
This is crazy. I can remember rushing home from church to watch wrestling. When they use to visit the armory in waynesville my moms uncle Ralph would have some over for supper. Well One night he had arn and Ollie Anderson over. Whi my mom hated with a passion. She refused to have supper with them. She has pictures of her and ric flair and black jack mulligan, wahoo McDaniel Ricky the dragon steam boat and the list goes on and on. Of course sting was awesome. Met Goldberg one time at food lion in Clyde lol
Bless(y) her heart. She knew her limitations, and had "class."

NC state trooper I've known forever use to work NC Hwy 64 Rand/Davidson co. and stopped them for speeding
so many times it became like "friends" meeting each other, asked about other's families and such, still got ticket.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
My dad still tells a story to this day that when NWA came to Fayetteville in the 80s that a guy ringside either tried to or did stab Ric Flair as he was walking by. I've never heard anyone confirm this in the wrestling community but some of my dads buddies swear it happened.

Avery Creek

Twelve Pointer
My dad still tells a story to this day that when NWA came to Fayetteville in the 80s that a guy ringside either tried to or did stab Ric Flair as he was walking by. I've never heard anyone confirm this in the wrestling community but some of my dads buddies swear it happened.
That kind of stuff happened all the time back in the late 70ā€™s and 80ā€™s. Iā€™m a regular listener to Jim Cornetteā€™s podcasts and he has talked about actually having his tennis racquet loaded because he was so hated by fans. He has busted more than one fan open that came across the barriers. The Fabulous Freebirds were known to have started riots when they were in Texas in a program with the Von Erichs. The 1980ā€™s, in the south, was wrestlingā€™s Golden Era. I hated Ric Flair as a kid, but know I can appreciate the fact that he was the best their ever was at his job. He may not have been the best ā€œwrestlerā€, although he was really, really good, but he could make you hate him by the things he said and the things he did in the ring. Slick Ric is the GOAT because he could make normal, sane people want to stab him.
He was having a hard time holding those alligators down.

I know hes not old skool but I liked to watch Big Pappa Pump! I never seen a dude with muscle on top of muscle. Yeah I know it was roids but still. Cant go wrong with chain mail. 1615855515158.png

Last edited:

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
I still watch monday night raw and try to keep up on the ppv's cause its something i done growing up. Still not as good as it was 15-20 years ago though. Smackdown is bs to me though. Favorites are Edge, Taker, Stone Cold, HHH, Hbk. I guess my new favorites these days are Drew McEntyre & Bobby Lashley & Randy Orton

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
I still watch monday night raw and try to keep up on the ppv's cause its something i done growing up. Still not as good as it was 15-20 years ago though. Smackdown is bs to me though. Favorites are Edge, Taker, Stone Cold, HHH, Hbk. I guess my new favorites these days are Drew McEntyre & Bobby Lashley & Randy Orton. & no matter the timeframe i cant leave out the Hardy Boyz

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Shame on all y'all.

There is only ONE greatest wrestling showman and promoter!

Maybe not the best wrestler, but you can't question whether or not he riled up the fans, and literally put his neck on the line in that ring!

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
It was rowdy piper. He was in the parking lot in Fayetteville and chased a guy who robbed a woman in the parking lot. He chased him and got stabbed in the back and he then beat the crap out of the guy.

Avery Creek

Twelve Pointer
Apparently not a lot of modern day wrestling fans on here, but if you want to watch one heck of a match, last night on AEW the main event was a lights out unsanctioned match between Britt Baker and Thunder Rosa, two females. Holy cow what a match it was. Those ladies tore the house down, both had color (bleeding) and it was a flat out entertaining match. Womenā€™s wrestling has come a long way in the last few years and those two last night elevated womenā€™s wrestling with the show they put on; that match was worthy of being on a Pay Per View show.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Apparently not a lot of modern day wrestling fans on here, but if you want to watch one heck of a match, last night on AEW the main event was a lights out unsanctioned match between Britt Baker and Thunder Rosa, two females. Holy cow what a match it was. Those ladies tore the house down, both had color (bleeding) and it was a flat out entertaining match. Womenā€™s wrestling has come a long way in the last few years and those two last night elevated womenā€™s wrestling with the show they put on; that match was worthy of being on a Pay Per View show.

I enjoyed the WWF/WWE Attitude and RA eras. But once they beat WCW and bought everyone else out, they got scared and stale really fast. The lack of freedom and poor writing and catering to a kid friendly culture have pretty much made it unwatchable.

It sounds like AEW might be trying to follow Vince's model from the late 90s. If so, they might get my attention.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
@Avery Creek wow...just went and watched it. Was good to hear ole JR on the mic and the match was amazing. I wish they had a full house to watch it though. Those women put on a show and its a shame they didn't have a bigger crowd to play to.

Avery Creek

Twelve Pointer
I enjoyed the WWF/WWE Attitude and RA eras. But once they beat WCW and bought everyone else out, they got scared and stale really fast. The lack of freedom and poor writing and catering to a kid friendly culture have pretty much made it unwatchable.

It sounds like AEW might be trying to follow Vince's model from the late 90s. If so, they might get my attention.
AEW is very reminiscent of old WCW. They have been around about a year, Tony Khan, whose dad is the billionaire owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars, owns it.
They have their struggles, itā€™s not the perfect wrestling show, but it keeps improving. Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard and Jake the Snake Roberts art managers. Lots of young up and coming talent, mixed with a few veterans like Chris Jericho, Cody and Dustin Rhodes and Sting; I really enjoy it.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
If you haven't already, all you rasslin' fans need to watch the South Park season 13, "W.T.F." episode. Now, those kids can really wrestle!!!!!!:taz:

DeerManager

Eight Pointer
Wow, the timing of this thread.....I haven't watched wrestling since the early 90's, however, the last few days I had the urge to watch some wrestling from the 80's. So youtube is where I found myself. Man, it brought back some memories. Some family and friends wrestling, even made our own championships belts. I always enjoyed Rick Flair's interviews and the figure four leg lock( which will actually hurt someone). I didn't have a favorite, I liked some better than others. Lets see, some of the ones I thought was great: Flair( the four horsemen era, Flair, Anderson brothers, and Tully), Dusty Rhodes, Magnum T.A., Steamboat, Jimmy Valient, Rock -n-Roll Express, Road Warriors, Sting, Ragin Bull, Randy Savage, Jake the Snake, Ultimate Warrior, Hacksaw Jim Duncan, Andre the Giant, Hogan, Rodney Piper.

Jake NFC

Twelve Pointer
Wow, the timing of this thread.....I haven't watched wrestling since the early 90's, however, the last few days I had the urge to watch some wrestling from the 80's. So youtube is where I found myself. Man, it brought back some memories. Some family and friends wrestling, even made our own championships belts. I always enjoyed Rick Flair's interviews and the figure four leg lock( which will actually hurt someone). I didn't have a favorite, I liked some better than others. Lets see, some of the ones I thought was great: Flair( the four horsemen era, Flair, Anderson brothers, and Tully), Dusty Rhodes, Magnum T.A., Steamboat, Jimmy Valient, Rock -n-Roll Express, Road Warriors, Sting, Ragin Bull, Randy Savage, Jake the Snake, Ultimate Warrior, Hacksaw Jim Duncan, Andre the Giant, Hogan, Rodney Piper.

Exactly the reason why I started this thread. The names you mentioned above bring back good memories for many of us.

For me it was Saturday Mornings watching Crockett's NWA promotion and then at 6pm watching Georgia Championship Wrestling on TBS with the famous Gordon Solie.

Keep on postings guys, we are just getting started........

Avery Creek

Twelve Pointer
Exactly the reason why I started this thread. The names you mentioned above bring back good memories for many of us.

For me it was Saturday Mornings watching Crockett's NWA promotion and then at 6pm watching Georgia Championship Wrestling on TBS with the famous Gordon Solie.

Keep on postings guys, we are just getting started........
Alright then, hereā€™s a trivia question. Randy and Bill Mulkey, The Mulkey Brothers, a couple of jobbers or ā€œenhancement talentā€, if you will. They were from Anderson, SC and they won one match as a tag team that win earned them a spot in The Crockett Cup Tag Team Tournament. Who did they beat?