Entry level baitcaster for catfish

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I haven’t kept up with their latest models but unless they’re putting new drag washers in them, ambassadors have historically had jerky, uneven, low drags. You may get 15lbs for a second, then it slips like there’s only 5lb..... then it may jerk and lock up at 15lb.

For the record, 15lbs is about the max drag, locked down (temporarily, as keeping them locked crushes and damages the washers over time) lightly greased washers, for most any baitcaster/conventional reel, before you start moving up to conventional typically used for bottom fishing or trolling.

They may get 15lb out of the box, but unless they’re a model that has upgraded washers, it won’t last and won’t be smooth.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I haven’t kept up with their latest models but unless they’re putting new drag washers in them, ambassadors have historically had jerky, uneven, low drags. You may get 15lbs for a second, then it slips like there’s only 5lb..... then it may jerk and lock up at 15lb.

For the record, 15lbs is about the max drag, locked down (temporarily, as keeping them locked crushes and damages the washers over time) lightly greased washers, for most any baitcaster/conventional reel, before you start moving up to conventional typically used for bottom fishing or trolling.

They may get 15lb out of the box, but unless they’re a model that has upgraded washers, it won’t last and won’t be smooth.

I appreciate you informing the uninformed. Thanks for the reply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnBoat

Banned
When fighting a big flathead in most situations your not using the drag anyways. Your thumb is on the spool so the drag doesn't really matter.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I had a pile of 6500 C3’s on ugly stiks when I was cat fishing so much here. I’ve since sold them all but I also picked up a C4. If the C4 would’ve been my first experience with Abu Garcia, I’d never owned anything they made. Complete junk. Something was constantly messed up with it. I’d been better off with a zebco 33.
About 7-8 years ago, I was missing the 6500’s I sold and bought another C3. I put it on a med/heavy ugly stik Tiger rod. I’ve used it maybe 3 times while at the beach. It’ll throw a 2-3 oz rig a country mile.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns

I would say you are correct on the old ones from years ago. Also if you are talking about their reels made in china.

But the current last 10 to 12 years for the reels not made in china, that is not the finding of me and many others.
Not to say there ma not be a bad one, just that I have not found them.
For the price you get and quality they are hard to beat.
Salt is a different thing. I have different reels for that. But then again the reel we are talking about was not made for salt water but many use them and fished them for years with great luck.

Also
Being he was asking for Info and help. What do you think will fit his bill.
Thats what he is asking, I did not see your thoughts on a reel that will fit the bill in the range he has set.

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I would say you are correct on the old ones from years ago. Also if you are talking about their reels made in china.

But the current last 10 to 12 years for the reels not made in china, that is not the finding of me and many others.
Not to say there ma not be a bad one, just that I have not found them.
For the price you get and quality they are hard to beat.
Salt is a different thing. I have different reels for that. But then again the reel we are talking about was not made for salt water but many use them and fished them for years with great luck.

Also
Being he was asking for Info and help. What do you think will fit his bill.
Thats what he is asking, I did not see your thoughts on a reel that will fit the bill in the range he has set.

If I fish Abus (salt) they’re euro market 6500 CT variants.

I’ve got 6500 C3 for catfishing .... they’ll fit the bill just fine. Buy used and upgrade the washers. No matter what washers you use, you’ll likely never get more than 15lbs out of them, but it will greatly improve the performance.

It wasn’t that they‘ wouldn’t fit the bill, just that those numbers for the drag are pretty stout. That’s all.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Growing up started out with 404s. Usually had get new about every year. Then graduated up to the 33s. Usually got couple years out of them. Caught a lot of fish in the creek with both but think the stump bass and branch perch what wore them out more than the fish.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
It wasn’t that they‘ wouldn’t fit the bill, just that those numbers for the drag are pretty stout. That’s all.

Could be.
It is the numbers they print based on the info given from the design manufacturer.

I dont have the time or the correct equipment to test them.
I just take the manufacturer info as if it will work for me.

I will say this, something you hit one and many people do not know.
The reels are shipped now with the drag backed off. Years ago they were shipped as tested with it cranked to 50% or more of drag.

I have seen great high dollar reels that are trash for drag in a few months of use.
Most because they have drag set high or locked for spooling or fighting fish. Then they stay on the boat or in sun and heat..

That is the fastest way to trash the reels and leading cause for drag problems.

But back to the 15 to 20 lbs...
Who knows who cares...
I do know the good abu reels are better then the china based or copy cat reels.
That is my point. Not going to get a 6500 copy with the stated 8 lb drag when I can get the Abu 6500 with quality drag and parts..
The 15 to 20 lb is they list the 6500 cat as 15 lb drag, the 7000 as 20 lb drag.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Any of them you better do yourself a favor and back the drag off when not in use. I back all of mine off after each use before storing them.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Any of them you better do yourself a favor and back the drag off when not in use. I back all of mine off after each use before storing them.

^^this.......I also back all of mine off and I use on most of my reels drags washers from SMOOTH DRAG I think her name is Dawn. she will take care of ya. Backing off my drag has caused me to loose a few fish as every now and then I forget to check when I start fishing(not much but rare) bit I would rather loose a rare fish than destroy all my drag washers.

someone mentioned a C4 being crap but i have a C4 I use for small to med cats , stripers and Bass and it is an awesome reel.

I also have a 4600C3 with a factory Clicker. I use it mainly for bass and carp but it can double duty for small to med cats .

anyone ever heard of a factory 4600 with clicker???

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I also have a 4600C3 with a factory Clicker. I use it mainly for bass and carp but it can double duty for small to med cats .

anyone ever heard of a factory 4600 with clicker???
I hear of them but never seen one.
I have several 4600 but no clicker. What I recall they were for the market in Europe.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yep that was my point.
Need to back them all off each time. If you do not then the drag gets really bad fast.

JohnBoat

Banned
Pretty sure the drag washers in one of my 7000's are crushed/melted together. If you back it off it goes to no drag. There is no in-between haha. Should really just fish with drag set high but not locked down. As long as you pay attention and get on the rod you can use your thumb and not worry about it anyway.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I hear of them but never seen one.
I have several 4600 but no clicker. What I recall they were for the market in Europe.

NW USA for Kokanee fishing. It is the smoothest abu I have ever thrown. I bass fished with it today and it is right there with My shimano Calcutta 200 in smoothness.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Pretty sure the drag washers in one of my 7000's are crushed/melted together. If you back it off it goes to no drag. There is no in-between haha. Should really just fish with drag set high but not locked down. As long as you pay attention and get on the rod you can use your thumb and not worry about it anyway.
Factory washers will do that if you have some type of oil or or solvent on them like WD-40 or PB Blaster.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I appreciate the info!

I looked into both, the “Catfish Special” is basically $30 more give or take at around $150

The silver 6500 is around $120 and a power handle is around $15 so I definitely see your point.

Get this one. Don't be afraid to get these used you can find parts. I love this reel.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Echoing recommending the Abu 6500. I have a pair that I purchased in the late 1990's for cat fishing and light tackle surf fishing. They have worked well for me. @Justin is correct on the drag variances on the Abu reels as my experience has been the same. Several years ago I purchased a set of carbon fiber drag washers from ebay for less than $10 that dramatically changed the drag function of my 6500's for the better. Since then I have purchased small sheets of the carbon fiber material and made my own drag washers for numerous reels.

<>< Fish

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
You are absolutely correct, I have always just bought the reel at the best price so I have left and right and don't actually know the difference.

That was not for you.
Was a comment for the OP. It is a common thing for mail order of reels.

I did the same at the start for the ABU.
Found the same I picked up the 6601 not knowing the what the 01 was other than a great price.
Years gone by many were clear as to left handed or right now sometimes it is hard to know based on product numbers.
Just easy for first timers on a new product like ABU to mix it up, more so when you jump for an online deal.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've had good luck with Okuma Magda Pro Reels on a Ugly Stik Catfish or Striper rod. I use them for precision trolling and drifting catfish bait.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We had my daughter’s b-day party in Greenville SC on Saturday, and after the party my Dad and I decided to wander through Cabela’s. I headed to the reel counter and was scoping out some of the Abu 6500’s and the old man asked what I was intending on using them for. I told him I was looking for a reel for catfishing and he offered to give me a rod and reel he used for carp fishing when he was into that heavy.

It’s a Shimano Calcutta D series mounted on an older Ugly Stik CAL1100 Medium action rod.

What are your thoughts on these reels on the whole, and for use for catfish specifically?