End of another deer season

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Well...it sucks... then again, maybe not. Always a little depressing during the last sit in my favorite place. But, my favorite of all, rabbit hunting with my bestest friends will begin. Could have filled my tags early on, but didn't pull the trigger once. Still a good season!!! Rabbit hunting with vittles afterwards...🤤👍👍.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
@Rescue44 start a thread and let us know how ya do. I’ll be doing the same with a couple fellers I made connections with. That’ll get me till the end of February, then it will be time to prep for turkey and trout, then the bear will get more active and we will spend spring and summer trying to get dogs trained up. It’ll be fall again before we know it. Seems that every year older I get, the faster that year goes by. As my ol buddy @turkeyfoot has been known to say “make time for yourself to create lasting memories, cuz that’s all we will have in the end.”

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
@Rescue44 start a thread and let us know how ya do. I’ll be doing the same with a couple fellers I made connections with. That’ll get me till the end of February, then it will be time to prep for turkey and trout, then the bear will get more active and we will spend spring and summer trying to get dogs trained up. It’ll be fall again before we know it. Seems that every year older I get, the faster that year goes by. As my ol buddy @turkeyfoot has been known to say “make time for yourself to create lasting memories, cuz that’s all we will have in the end.”

đź‘Ť Making memories with friends!! A man told me some years back, "the older you get, the faster it goes.". A few years later I told him, "I think you are right.". One in our group is no longer with us. He was quite a bit older than most of us. But, memories of hunts, cookouts with him remain.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
đź‘Ť Making memories with friends!! A man told me some years back, "the older you get, the faster it goes.". A few years later I told him, "I think you are right.". One in our group is no longer with us. He was quite a bit older than most of us. But, memories of hunts, cookouts with him remain.
Amen my friend

billyf

Six Pointer
trap a few coyotes on a couple of properties I have to thin them out. I have a new 200 acre place with 3 year old planted pine. Im told this is good Quail habitat. Haven't heard a wild covey flush in 35 years. Don't care to shoot any I just want to experience a covey rise...

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Was a good season… I miss it already ! Time of catch on the extremely long “to do list” while working with the squirrel dog, slipping in a duck hunt, catching a few winter crappie, then Lord willing deer hunting AL rut in early Feb.

Need to do some land work mowing fields etc and scouting in VA all before Turkey season cranks up.

more to do than their is time or energy

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
Yes the season has ended but there's lots of prep stuff to do for next season.
Some of us will plant food plots in the Spring and some late Summer and early Fall.
Scouting, moving stands, putting up new ones, trimming shooting lanes, the list is long.
One thing I really enjoy is inventory time.
I've been feeding deer after the season for the past three years.
I have a gravity feeder near the house and I keep it full with a corn/commercial feed mix.
I put a camera on it and enjoy looking at the pics of what made it through the season.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Wait a minute.......
Did I miss Familyman posting about killing a monster or did he just not post it this year?
I appreciate your vote of confidence, MJ! We didn't seem to have any resident mature bucks this year. We hunted plenty hard hoping a big ol' cruiser might turn up, but no dice.

Doe patrol was good though...so we had plenty of fun, and managed to put a bunch of good venison in the freezer. My wife and I are headed in the kitchen right now, in fact, to butcher and process a big doe for my sister...which we do for her every year. We'll make a party of it...we love IT ALL!!

Thanks again, MJ74!

This was my first year ever having a place of my own to hunt. Up until now I was always limited to accepting a couple of invites a year. It was really nice to hunt and just watch deer without the compulsion to shoot the first deer to show itself. I also have an appreciation for how much work goes into getting things set up right. I’m still learning but enjoying the process. No big bucks taken this year (although I saw a few) but for the first time I’ve got enough venison in the freezer to last this family of 4 meat eaters a year.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
The end of deer is always a little bittersweet. I’m glad it’s over and then I immediately wish for it to be back open.

Time to prep for next year. Scouting new spots, playing with new gear. It’s a never ending process.
Cutting out lanes to kill the ones that got by!
Hanging stands while the leaves are off.

getting ready to go up on the balds with you boys again in September

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Cutting out lanes to kill the ones that got by!
Hanging stands while the leaves are off.

getting ready to go up on the balds with you boys again in September
I’m looking forward to getting back into the high country in the fall.

Any thoughts on a turkey trip somewhere this Spring?

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m almost done… I still might squeeze one more Ga hunt in.

It’s been a pretty good year, filled the freezer pretty well, no new wall decorations, much to my wife’s dismay…lol

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I’m looking forward to getting back into the high country in the fall.

I know a place
I’m down. Honestly don’t care that much for turkeys. Any excuse to get out and camp and explore is a good excuse. If I get a chance to bring home some meat then that’s just a bonus to me.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I’m kinda glad it’s over. Nary a buck interested me the entire season. Well there was 1 but only got his picture one night, and he really wasn’t big, he was just bigger/older than everything else. He either got shot, or lived somewhere else. Hopefully some of those young ones will make something of themselves for next year.

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
I’m down. Honestly don’t care that much for turkeys. Any excuse to get out and camp and explore is a good excuse. If I get a chance to bring home some meat then that’s just a bonus to me.
I just like the excuse for use all to hang out again. That was a blast