Emerald Isle Bogue Sound Guidance

BoDawg

Button Buck
Hello Folks,

Looking for some guidance going to be on Emerald Isle last week of July and first week of August. I have been looking at previous posts re: surf fishing, thanks to all that have contributed. I have an idea on what I doing on the surf side. I have fished OBX with some success with whiting, pomps, blues, spanish and small flounder. I am looking for some help on the sound side. We are staying walking distance from the NC Wildlife public boat ramp. I am wondering what the fishing is like from the dock there, as well as it is possible to wade the surrounding area Piney Creel/Archer Creek/Archer Point - shoreline near aquarium or anywhere else, Emerald Isle Woods park. Mud bottom or sand ? It is quite possible I will have a SUP or kayak so also wondering if it will be worth the effort to paddle out to the islands and bridge area. In a perfect world I am paddling/wading/walking from our place on East Landing, I will be leaving most morns around 5 with the goal to be back at 9. If I have to drive with the yak and sup ok just digs into time the line will be in the water. I am on family vacation not a fishing trip but I will fish every morn plus pull a dusk/night shift. I am very well equipped, bringing 7-8 rods, 2000 series reels to 6000 series reels and at least one big conventional with a 9-10 foot rod. Would love to increase the chances of picking up some keeper flounder or releasing an over slot red. Planning on trying the beach at night for sharks, pointers are welcome. Suggestions on kid friendly spots ? I will be going to the Bogue Inlet pier just hate paying, kids attention span can be pretty short. I will have a cast net. Kids love to wade and catch stuff in their nets, any suggestions for spots. Unfortunately a charter is not in the budget for dad but a pontoon boat rental may work for the family. Surf tips and suggestions also welcome.

If anyone happens to travel to Toronto for work or other, I run a salmon boat on Lake Ontario (40 mins west of city) and will return a favor of great info quite happily with a trip on the lake.(Send PM) Last year we had fish on 82% of our runs with an average of 10-18 lb fish - king salmon, coho salmon and steelhead.

Thanks.

Cheers and tight lines to all.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Gulp products on pink jig heads in the sound. Storm swim baits are good.
12-20# braid on spinning or casting gear. Usually can cast further with spinning.

Carolina rigs and cut bait catch almost everything. Shrimp, crabs [emoji886]

Look for ledges or ditches or structure. It’s like bass fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philjam

Spike
There should be blue crabs off Bogue pier then. I watched a guy crab with 4 square box traps tied to the rail - he was constantly busy. Water was clear enough to see the crab go into the trap. I don't know if that beach is good for sand fleas but kids might like getting them with their hands for bait to use anywhere. There is a resident posse of sharks hanging around the bait cleaning station, saw kids having a ball feeding them scraps. The sharks compete and bull rush anything thrown in the water but you are not supposed to fish for them (no shark gear.) These shark are 4-7ft., do get hooked sometimes and will spool regular gear. Fishing around dusk might be more productive and comfortable for kids, go when the day crowd is leaving before the night folks take over.
I fished Ontario a few times for salmon and trout, but am not able to travel now. Great trips, good memories, tasty meat. Good luck.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That dock at the boat ramp and surrounding area gets fished pretty hard. Lot of boat traffic in and out. Be prepared for the mosquitoes they will carry you off there. I’m not exaggerating. Most everywhere around there is black mud. You won’t step off in it but once. The kayak is your best bet. You can leave from there or the other boat ramp in Ceder Point on Hwy 24. The one in Ceder Point near Dudley’s Marine is better in my opinion. You can paddle across the main channel and have the best and endless fishing areas. Live mud minnows and gulp baits are good. There will be drum, flounder, some trout and others. You will have a hard time fishing cut bait or cut shrimp because the pin fish are relentless. Take a minute and go to Pogies Fishing Center in Swansboro. They can fill you in on what is biting and where on what bait. The pier is definitely the expensive route to go. That time of year there will be Spanish and Blues being caught but most of the time it’s only early in the day and late. Most of time on plugs at the end and that’s pretty hard for young kids. You can access the beach there you may just want to take them down there to fish and play. The upper side (east) would be better. Hope this helps.