Elk Hunt

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Looking for recommendations on a good elk hunt. Last hunted elk 20 years ago in Montana. It was guided and to say the least it was bad. Of course back then research was limited.

I plan to retire June 2022. I want to do a father/son hunt. My cousin plans to do the same with his son. So we looking for 2022 hunt, but want to plan and budget now.

DIY is fine but think we prefer a full service hunt. I know budget makes a world of difference in options. So I’ll just say $5k/hunter. Gun/ML would be choice of weapon.

treein dixie

Twelve Pointer
Listen to a guide service speak and try and sale you a hunt, then forget everything he just lied to you about, and find your own way! No good experiences with any of them even though you have computer and reviews today!

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
So first I’d ask what state you were thinking about and if not one in particular, what kinda hunt do you want/habitat to hunt. Wyoming for example, looking at 2020 odds and assuming no point creek, if you guys buy a point this year you should be able to draw one of the Wyoming elk units with mostly wilderness area since you want to go guided. Could also buy a point in Colorado this year and draw a first rifle hunt in a few different units. NM, if it doesn’t get rid of the outfitter pool (which I hope it does, will be good for everyone), would be a spot to look for to increase odds of drawing since you want to go guided. Landowner tags could be bought in NM or Colorado, that’s an option too. Then I’d call state wildlife and eventually state outfitter associations for any recommendations. As for specific ones, no clue as I’m a DIY guy but if I was on the hunt for guided the above is what I would do. If I hadn’t thrown away the Wyoming Outfitter Guide they send me every year I’d send it your way. You might be able to have the WYOGA send you one. I think GoHunt and Huntin’ Fool also have guide sections but I’m not surez

wl704

Ten Pointer
MT or a state with landowner tags may be simplest to coordinate with an outfitter/guide on a short term timeline.

DIY OTC options are limited but available, but even a few points really can make a big difference on the pressure or quality, depending on how the state / unit is managed.

No specific states or names, but is be looking at MT, WY andNM for assisted hunts. CO, ID for DIY.

nettereo16

Six Pointer
Wyoming for example, looking at 2020 odds and assuming no point creek, if you guys buy a point this year you should be able to draw one of the Wyoming elk units with mostly wilderness area since you want to go guided.

WY took 3 points in 2020 for the General tag (I drew). Likely will be 3+ in 2021, 4 in 2022.
You're right there might some be wilderness heavy units which would take 1-2 points he could draw and hunt with a guide.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
New Mexico land owner tag and be done with it. If you go guided, it will probably cost you more than $5K, the land owner tags can get pricey. If you stay out of a trophy unit you might be able to do the hunt for around $6-7k guided.

I wouldn't waste my time on a guided hunt in an area that has general or OTC tags, unless it got me access to a private ranch to hunt.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
WY took 3 points in 2020 for the General tag (I drew). Likely will be 3+ in 2021, 4 in 2022.
You're right there might some be wilderness heavy units which would take 1-2 points he could draw and hunt with a guide.
Yeah, 95 and 97 I think it was he could draw in the special with one point as of right now and that’s because they are heavy wilderness. General tag creep out me behind the 8 ball, was thinking I’d be hunting there this year on the general but it’ll be 2023 most likely looking at creep. Oh well, 5 year plan is to move out to Wyoming so as long as points are able to be burnt before or once I move out there (have to be a resident for a year before getting resident tags) I’ll be good to go.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
To the OP, if the Canada border opens back up, you may consider British Columbia elk hunt. I have an aquaitenance who went on a horseback elk hunt up there 2-3 years ago. He said he had a ball, killed a nice 6x7 bull. Hunt cost him about $8k, but he was one on one guided for 10 days. He said it dropped into the $6k range if you went 2x1 and 7 day hunts.

A quick google search found some outfitters in BC charging between $5-8k for fully guided elk hunts. Not too shabby quite honestly. Probably be freaking awesome experience.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wow. I’m going this year to CO. I don’t expect I’ll spend $1K, but my friend’s house is really close to the unit we’re hunting.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I don’t expect I’ll spend $1K,

you a frugal man then,,,

heck, elk license alone is $688.26 by itself,,plus $85 for the required small game license (or other qualifying license) before you can even apply for the elk license,(unless you're hunting an OTC area),,,, then transport out and back from NC,,, couple of hundred,,

even give you got to eat anywhere,,, it still will cost more than a grand,,,

JWH15

Six Pointer
you a frugal man then,,,

heck, elk license alone is $688.26 by itself,,plus $85 for the required small game license (or other qualifying license) before you can even apply for the elk license,(unless you're hunting an OTC area),,,, then transport out and back from NC,,, couple of hundred,,

even give you got to eat anywhere,,, it still will cost more than a grand,,,
Don't forget his headlamp he's buying too, I'm sure there's a few more miscellaneous items that will be purchased as well. If he can make out for under 1k more power to him. I envy that kind of planning