EHD reports?

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
One of our hunting club members found a young buck dead at the edge of a pond. This is typical of deer suffering from EHD (seeking water). We contacted the game warden, and he said it's early in the season for that, but if another one turns up, to contact him, and he'd send a biologist out to get tissue samples to test. I sure hope this isn't an omen of things to come. This is in Western Halifax county.

I haven't heard of widespread ehd. Hopefully it is an isolated incident. I know of some that are starting to fog on their properties. might be an option. <iframe width="747" height="420" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Conditions are wrong for ehd. Not enough standing water for the midges to breed in. But this year is setting up to have an outbreak if we get a tropical storm to come through and there is standing water after a hot dry summer.
As to the fogger.....it is about as effective as aerial spraying for mosquitos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guyo

Ten Pointer
I talked to James are Biologist, had a call on a deer that looked like EHD but it seems to early. The lab that checks for the state has not open for the season yet. But he is not ruling anything out.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
Harry....... why not call the area biologist direct. I'm sure he would have much better information than the enforcement officer.
Yes, thanks, we contacted the biologist, but as guyo said, we were told the contract with the lab they use for testing doesn't start until June 1st. He did say this is the 5th report of dead deer near water that they've received. So, even though it's early and conditions really aren't right, I'm a little concerned.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Yes, I would be too, considering the circumstances. Any concerns like that I would go to the biologist first.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I agree that it is not the right time of year or right conditions yet. And when we lost a big chunk of our herd to EHD a few years ago, not a single one of the many deer I found was near my pond or creek, so I think that part of the equation is sometimes overplayed as well.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Haven't heard anything about EHD so far this year.
Out of curiosty what club are you in?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk