Educate me please

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There has been a ton of ducks in trees on our farm lately......I have never noticed so many in trees ........nowhere near water is what’s got me a little confused......are they just woodies nesting? In all my years down here never seen so many ducks.......a good problem!!

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
There's tons of wood ducks on the mainland here this year, more than I've seen in the past. Hopefully they have a good nesting year.

All the geese have had babies with them for the last week or so but haven't seen any little ducks yet.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Wood ducks will nest in favorable areas up to a quarter mile away from any water. Sounds as if they found an area they like. My hunting partner has several pairs that have been nesting in trees for years in his yard, yet he too is a long way from a tiny creek. Take some pics if you can, pretty neat!

JD1107

I’ve seen a few hens with babies already. It’s amazing to me how wood ducks nest. Here’s a few pics from back in February. Haven’t checked the cams in a while but I’m hoping to catch jump day.
2781CD8D-0710-4D9B-9F20-E9F138C1049E.jpeg95AAC86E-6F08-4E52-888D-872DE4329B3B.jpeg

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Neat pics but you’re 1E48027C-1346-43E3-9748-57915CF154A5.jpegprobably be late for the jump but hope cam did catch it. Takes about 27 days to incubate, once hatched they leave the nest by ~24 hours. I checked my boxes Saturday and all three have hatched and gone. One of my boxes wasn’t even put up til March 7th.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Very common to see wood ducks nested in old trees around farm houses. May be that they know they are more protected from predators. People put wood duck boxes in their yards around North Eastern NC. I have tried the boxes in my yard but I have too many dogs. I caught a striper this time last year that had a wood duck hatching in its belly.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Yea, as many stripers as there are on the Roanoke it’s a wonder many survive at all! Just got back from a half day 100+ fish catch with a couple of buddies.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks for the info....... hopefully we will have some great hunts this season.... tons of local birds