Easy to peel boiled eggs.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Folks...I love a good batch of deviled eggs. I can eat an entire plate of them without any regrets. However, the peeling of the eggs has always been a problem. The shells invariably stick and make a mess of things. Then I tried this method. Its amazing....yes it takes about 45 min to cook and peel the eggs, but its worth it. Just did two dozen today. Some of the peels came off like mandarin oranges....all in one piece.

1) Boil enough water to cover the eggs
2) Put COLD eggs in the boiling water. Allow to return to boil.
3) Set timer for 13 min. Boil eggs.
4) Move pot to kitchen sink and run cold water through it for one minuite
5) Ice the water heavily.
6) Let sit for 15 min
7) Peel

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Fresh eggs? I usually don't have a problem with store bought eggs but I had a boss that had chickens and brought me fresh eggs. They're much harder to peel.

I haven't tried fresh eggs with this method. It works great on store bought though.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Your technique is similar to mine. The only difference is when the water comes to a boil, I turn off the burner and put a lid on the pot.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
With eggs the older the better. Think about it. A hen lays one egg a day. So, for her to lay a clutch will take say roughly two weeks (12 is average). Therefore the first egg she laid is two weeks old. She can't start to incubate until she gets a full clutch. So a two or three week old unfertilized egg is fine. In the fridge I've kept eggs a week or two beyond the expiration date with no problems. And they peel nicely. The incredible edible egg! :D

I'll have try Tipmoose's recipe. I hate peeling fresh eggs.

All that is unnecessary. Just boil the eggs when done run under cold water and cool. Tap the egg on the counter top all the way around cracking the shell and then peel. It will come off usually in 1 or 2 pieces.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
All that is unnecessary. Just boil the eggs when done run under cold water and cool. Tap the egg on the counter top all the way around cracking the shell and peel. It will come off usually in 1 or 2 pieces.

tried it multiple times, doesn’t always work. Especially with fresh eggs

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Store bought eggs can be a couple of months old when you buy them. The albumin is thick and makes a really good boiled egg.
Save your fresh eggs for breakfast or for baking, that's where they shine. The fluid albumin mixes great for baking. I sell fresh eggs at work and generally get hit hard at Thanksgiving and Christmas. About the time the girls quit laying for the season.

Now..boiled eggs are best for two things, pickled eggs or deviled eggs.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
But hard-boiled fresh eggs are so much better tasting than hard-boiled store bought eggs . Just a pain to peel. Now hard-boiled duck eggs are a little too rich to me.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fresh eggs? I usually don't have a problem with store bought eggs but I had a boss that had chickens and brought me fresh eggs. They're much harder to peel.
Yep, fresh eggs don't boil and peel well at all. You need to use your oldest eggs (2+ weeks old) for boiling. The older, the better they peel. Learned this when we had chickens.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I steamed the last batches of eggs to pickle.
Cold eggs placed in steamer with hot water cover and steam for 15 then cool under cold water. After a few min I crack the eggs up and return to the water to soak.16094592763632127097712.jpgfor about 30 min.
After that the shells just fall off and eggs are great.