Eastern opener

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
Scoped Investarms. 50, stainless. First 2 rounds are 150 year old lead bullets and black powder. Kinda turning back the clock.

Supplies recovered from copper case 1860s 50-70 ammo.

Got an investarms .50 myself bought mine from Tommy Bell at what was the totem pole in Union SC back in mid 80s I drilled and tapped for scope back when SC finally let you use a scope on muzzleload
Mine alway liked 90 grain powder and the hand molded Lee R.E.A.L 250 grain bullet Also would shoot 2 50 gr pellets but would remove nipple and shake in a little loose powder Never had misfire
View attachment 50525

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Nothing has changed since I bought it. I finally ran out of the Knight bullets that shot well in it.
There are probably xbows out there that will kill one farther but I like it. :)
Bought my MK85 in 1986. Have upgraded it to the 209 ignition and made a thumb hole walnut stock for it . Its shoots Barnes 250 spitfire bullets with the blue sabots (mine has a real tight barrel) as good as any muzzleloader I have. I have the Mk 85 in 50 a TC encore in 50 and a self-made 54 cal inline with a knight barrel on a mauser action , all shoot good but the MK85 is the most consistent.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nothing has changed since I bought it. I finally ran out of the Knight bullets that shot well in it.
There are probably xbows out there that will kill one farther but I like it. :)

You can still buy the bullets from Knight. I had a Knight Wolverine for years it it shot those best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
We have 3 in the family. A TC Encore that my daughter shoots with a Leupold Rifleman 4x12x40 on it. It likes 100 gr. BH with a 200 grain TC Shockwave. My mom shoots a CVA Optima V2 stainless with a Nikon XR 3x9x40. It shoots 100 gr. BH with the 250 gr. Barnes TMZ. I shoot a CVA Optima V2 Nitride LR with a Luepold VX3i 3.5x10x40 and 100 gr. BH and the Barnes 250 gr. TMZ. I sure hope we can keep some of this colder weather around especially the way last year went.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sighted in the Wolf today. The lighter weight than the Impact makes it sweet to carry but it also makes for more recoil. All in all I'm happy and ready to draw her first blood.

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Sighted in the Wolf today. The lighter weight than the Impact make at sweet to carry but it also makes for more recoil. All in all I'm happy and ready to draw her first blood.
Never shot any brand other than CVA and I can't comment on the Wolf, but the Optimas I have shot didn't have much recoil at all.
You could probably remove the recoil pad and add someweight to the stock and it would help out too.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Sighted in the Wolf today. The lighter weight than the Impact makes it sweet to carry but it also makes for more recoil. All in all I'm happy and ready to draw her first blood.
Man I added a little bean bag and a bunch of grocery bags balled up in there loose in mine.

made the balance better and took some of the pop out

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Going to try out the Hornady 250gr SST in my Wolf today. I killed a deer a few seasons ago with this bullet but don't recall and didn't record how they shot for me. As I was going through my supplies I found I had a couple of boxes of these. If they shoot well enough I won't be dipping into my supply of bullets for my Ruger 77/44 and handguns.

<>< Fish

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
I switched to the 260 grain Scorpion PT Gold by Harvester and my Accura MR loves them and 100 grains of Blackhorn (by volume). Western opener is tomorrow, I’ll be out probably Tuesday afternoon and maybe Wednesday. Will be somewhere on the gamelands around Raleigh Saturday morning for the Eastern opener.

mj1angier

Four Pointer
I am using the 200gr with 90 gr of BH209. Most of my shots will be 75 or less so think it will be fine. If’s the shot I want is not there I will let them walk. Too lazy to look for wounded deer running lol

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
It feels like deer weather out there. Beautiful day!!

Of course I will be working starting tonight thru Tuesday morning so I expect great weather the weekend....[emoji35]

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'm using for the first time in a hunting situation Federal BOR Lock 270 gr. Looks good on paper let's see how its on some meat

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm using for the first time in a hunting situation Federal BOR Lock 270 gr. Looks good on paper let's see how its on some meat

Never heard of these but they look very interesting. Looking forward to your review.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The TC encore Muzzleloader im using this year was set up on them. They load much easier then a sabot. Supposedly when the gasses hit the bullet it forces the plastic part up on the bullet sealing it to make it accurate out to 200 yards. I'll give it a try and see. Worked well on paper let's see how it does on a hunk of meat.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

Powder and any idea on velocity? Those look interesting.

I'm a couple of minutes away from loading my Wolf and wrapping up a couple of loose ends.

<>< Fish

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Powder and any idea on velocity? Those look interesting.

I'm a couple of minutes away from loading my Wolf and wrapping up a couple of loose ends.

<>< Fish
I'm using the set up that came with the gun. 2 pellets of red box 777 no idea on the velocity. Im interested in seeing how well these mushroom. They are supposed to be capable of a 200 yard shot. I didn't sight em in at that distance.

Lawnscaper

Eight Pointer
Contributor
CVA Optima, Nikon 3x9, hornady 300 grain xtp, Blackhorn 209
Savage 10 ML, Nikon Monarch, 300 grain Barnes Originals.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I'm using the set up that came with the gun. 2 pellets of red box 777 no idea on the velocity. Im interested in seeing how well these mushroom. They are supposed to be capable of a 200 yard shot. I didn't sight em in at that distance.
I started shooting these when I went to Colorado. Holy crap Batman.
I’ll shoot them from here on out. 2767D654-51AF-4CA3-A1D4-0A88C1A363A7.jpeg