Eastern opener

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Only 5 weeks away. Who's toting what this season? Seems every 3-4 years I change up for one reason or other. Just picked up a NIB CVA Wolf from a member here. Mounted a 3-9x40 Leupold Vari-XII that I sent in for repairs last year. A BH209 breech plug should be here tomorrow.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
If somebody invites me to a hot spot in the east I will drag along a new CVA Accura V2 topped with a Nikon Prostaff5 2.5-10x42. If not I can wait until Oct 31.

Still playing with loads; Powerbelts 245 shot well enough and I have it doped. Just got Barnes TEZ 290 and Hornady SST 300 delivered and plan to test this weekend.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Do to work and weather I usually only get to go once or twice.
CVA Optima, Zeiss 3-9x40 shooting BH209 with 250gr Hornady SST's.
e3cb06b2bde0afd22463e2a4c615686a.jpg

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If somebody invites me to a hot spot in the east I will drag along a new CVA Accura V2 topped with a Nikon Prostaff5 2.5-10x42. If not I can wait until Oct 31.

Still playing with loads; Powerbelts 245 shot well enough and I have it doped. Just got Barnes TEZ 290 and Hornady SST 300 delivered and plan to test this weekend.

Shoot the SST or Barnes.
Powerbeats shoot okay, but perform poorly far too often for me.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Shoot the SST or Barnes.
Powerbeats shoot okay, but perform poorly far too often for me.

I hear a lot of people say that. When I went to Academy there wasn't any to choose from other than Powerbelt Copper 245 and I believe Aerotip 295, and Hornady XTP. I wanted to get the gun started so I picked the Powerbelts. I had to order the Barnes and Hornady.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I hear a lot of people say that. When I went to Academy there wasn't any to choose from other than Powerbelt Copper 245 and I believe Aerotip 295, and Hornady XTP. I wanted to get the gun started so I picked the Powerbelts. I had to order the Barnes and Hornady.

Gotcha. Powerbelts are definitely the easiest to come by.
The XTP has been a good performer for a long time too.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Traditions Pursuit something another, camo stock & cerakote barrel, 4X32 bushnell.

Blackhorn 209, Hornady SST, and Cheddite primers.

This combo delivered a double DRT bang/flop within 60 secs of each other last year, both shots at around 75 yards.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Same setup that I have used for every season except for the breech plug. I added a BH209 one a few years ago.

CVA Accura V2, Traditions 3.5-10x44mm scope. Blackhorn 209, Fiocchi 209 primers, Barnes 250 TEZ.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
CVA Wolf with a 6x scope shooting BH209 and a 240gr XTP. Debating what days to take off between the opener and the opening week of gun season.

<>< Fish

mj1angier

Four Pointer
Just picked up a CVA Wolf with factory scope yesterday. I have been using my White Moutain for 15 years, but have a place now that will need a longer shot. I got Triple 7 to use, but now yall got me thinking I need to find BH 209.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I got Triple 7 to use, but now yall got me thinking I need to find BH 209.

It's pricey but well worth it. You won't go back. Make sure you get standard 209 primers, magnums are best, not the muzzle loader 209 primers. I've got my 209 breech plug installed and a bunch of charge tubes loaded to 90 grains ready for the range.

jboi72

Eight Pointer
Cva optima v2, Bushnell trophy scope, tc 240gr xtp. Was using pyrodex but had alot of problems with it last year so may go to blackhorn.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Western opener couple days after y'all I'm going that tues
Actually opens before eastern this year which I haven’t figured out why yet. Opens the 28th vs down East opening the 3rd.

Dialed mine in today, probably didn’t need to mess with it but moved to where in 1.5-2” high at 100 instead of dead on. Figured now I can feel comfortable if I decide to head to Nebraska in December for some crazy reason or need to reach out on a bald up high here in two weeks.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Actually opens before eastern this year which I haven’t figured out why yet. Opens the 28th vs down East opening the 3rd.
That's odd I didn't look at eastern opener since don't hunt it just assumed it was sat before western like usual. We'll guess we get head start.