Eastern opener

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I haven't been because of heat and now stupid gnats everywhere, not to mention everywhere I hunt is swamp land or borders it, so mosquitoes are horrible. Just checking cameras is a swat fest.
Funny thing about the east, looking at the stats, all eastern counties but 2, kill more still hunting than in front of dogs. The disparity between the 2 was astonishing in some counties.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
As much as folks hate to admit it eastern is traditional dog hunting and muzzleloading and archery is secondary to many. You won't see the big numbers start rolling in to the tailgates drop. That isn't to say many of those dogs hunters won't go crawl up in a stand, especially so when it is hot. But they aren't going to do it to regular firearms season rolls around.

My crew is waiting. Many wide open farming, others still fishing. Can't kill but 2 bucks, no need to go yet. Saving the tags to get'em with the hounds. Some are hoping for cooler weather, so maybe they don't run into Mr. No Shoulders.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I haven't been because of heat and now stupid gnats everywhere, not to mention everywhere I hunt is swamp land or borders it, so mosquitoes are horrible. Just checking cameras is a swat fest.
Funny thing about the east, looking at the stats, all eastern counties but 2, kill more still hunting than in front of dogs. The disparity between the 2 was astonishing in some counties.
where is that stat detail avaialble on still hunting versus hounds?

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What is source of this data? When you register a deer they ask weapon type, gameland and deer type (doe, buck).

They also ask county, and if the use of one or more dogs were involved. Have been asking about use of dogs when registering a deer since 2009. The numbers used by the NCWRC come from the answers given when registering one.

Look up your past harvests on the harvest report online and it will show you yes or no to use of dogs in your past harvests.

Attachments

• 20191003_131306.jpg
    20191003_131306.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

country

Ten Pointer
F
They also ask county, and if the use of one or more dogs were involved. Have been asking about use of dogs when registering a deer since 2009. The numbers used by the NCWRC come from the answers given when registering one.

Look up your past harvests on the harvest report online and it will show you yes or no to use of dogs in your past harvests.
I forgot about the county. Sure dont recall dog question. If you hunt in no dog county like I do ( Johnston) do they still ask dog question?

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
F
I forgot about the county. Sure dont recall dog question. If you hunt in no dog county like I do ( Johnston) do they still ask dog question?

Not sure....probably not. I have only hunted in dog counties so someone else that lives in a non-dog county maybe able to answer that question.