Eastern Bear Season

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Setting here on the front porch at my hunting camp downeast,got a fire going in the outside fire place drinking coffee,oldest daughter who will be hunting with us this week has got some bear sausage and eggs cooking in the kitchen don't get no better than that got a great morning going on.Will be going out later to look for bear tracks crossing the road,some of the younger guy's in the club I will be hunting in the morning fixed up a device to pull the sides of the road so we can see tracks better I really didn't want to tell them I don't needed that because if a bear has walked down the road with in the last 4 or 5 hours my hounds will strike him,they really spent alot of time and a little money working on this thing .

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We use to drag the roads in the green swamp right before dark then get up early and ride the opposite side of the road with a light mounted on the side of the truck shining the drag line. We started several tracks like that.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
We have taken 3 a 412lber yesterday after the rain stopped,two today a 383lber and one we haven't got to the road yet but he's in the 500 to 550 lb range,been tough getting this one out even with the portable winches.I brought the hounds out well before the sun went down they should have him out in about 15min.He was 552lbs.

Last edited:

RJ1

Ten Pointer
We are doing ok,finally took one yesterday that I consider to be a large bear a 617lb boar,getting a late start today moved to a different club today one of the private landowners is hunting with us today he running a little late.

surffishn

Spike
We have taken 3 a 412lber yesterday after the rain stopped,two today a 383lber and one we haven't got to the road yet but he's in the 500 to 550 lb range,been tough getting this one out even with the portable winches.I brought the hounds out well before the sun went down they should have him out in about 15min.He was 552lbs.

How do y'all weigh them in the woods. Reason I ask I need to hey a good scale to weigh the beats we get. Tired of guessing sure we're way off most of the time.Thanks

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Don't weigh them in the woods its an estimate until we get them out and to the club house and to a set of scales,I've been bear hunting a long time and do fairly good on estimating weights when I am up close looking at one.As far as scales go I purchased several at a meat packing house auction and donated them to the clubs I belong to along with some other things as far as scales go they are not the average kind you would find in a store.I don't know how much money you want to put in a set of scales but Tractor Supply has a set that goes to 550lbs,when I go into the office in the morning I have some web sites of places you can purchase scales that I am sure would be more accurate than they are I could pm them to you its just according how accurate you want to be.