Earl's first hunt test

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So Earl had his "Spring hunt test" today,,,,did fairly well - got "Very Good" in all tested categories

he tested like he hunts,,,,and for that I was happy

next event - fall hunt test in Sept/Oct timeframe,,,

Earl and I are on the far right,,,for those who care!! The four without dogs were the judges

Last edited:

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Congrats on the hunt test. I used to run field tests with an ole’ male yella lab... me and that dog had some good times running around the country. Put him in the ground on Dec 22nd three years ago...One of these days I’ll find another pup to work again... just not there yet. Good to see you guys are having fun!

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Congrats to Earl for passing his test!
I know it takes a lot of work to teach an owner how to handle a good dog !!!
LOL !

On a serious note, congrats to both of you. Well done !

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Some beautiful dogs there,

Nothing I ever hunted was more enjoyable than hunting Perdiz (Chuckar) and the small quail in Spain with a really smart dog. And I can certainly relate to Hunting Nut's post. I picked up a Brittany while stationed in Spain. Took him out on our first hunt together to an interesting field where they had already trashed the oats and left the straw in "windrows". It was already getting warm in the field and obviously the dog knew more about hunting these quail than I did. I started at one end of the field crossing the windrows while Brandy kept wanting to follow on the down wind side of the windrows. The quail had already finished their morning feed and had crawled up in the shade underneath the rows of straw. After about an hour he taught me he knew a hell of a lot more about hunting their quail than I did. Soon after he had taught me how to hunt we limited out and headed home. Wasn't the only lesson he ever taught me.

Some of the most fun hunting I have ever done. What I would give for another opportunity to hunt with him like that and I have no doubt that he still had some lessons he could have taught me.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
lot of work to teach an owner how to handle a good dog

well since I never said I taught that knucklehead anything I guess I am good to go,,,,,

we are a team,,,,he finds stuff,,,I kill it,,,,in between we work on who's boss,,,,so far I win

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
well since I never said I taught that knucklehead anything I guess I am good to go,,,,,

we are a team,,,,he finds stuff,,,I kill it,,,,in between we work on who's boss,,,,so far I win
You know ALL of mine know that, the ones I have raised here and the ones that have been repurposed (given) to me and made into deer dogs. Some weren't so easy to get that point over, especially the mature ones that were repurposed but once that bridge was crossed it seems that everything is all downhill after that. But with curdogs once that is established you almost never have to address it again.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Earl just hit his "teenager" dog age and had to be reminded that there IS a chain of command around here,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Ahhhhhh, the terrible twos.

he hit his as 13 months,,,,,but doing fine,,,in reliable retrieve training now (some call it force fetch)

funny thing,,,,he LOVES retrieving,,,but pick something up and tell him to hold and he's like "why, you already have it",,,,

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Hated the force fetch training and forced hold with my chessie, stubborn hard headed as he was, loved that dog
Go through days and days, hours and hours of pain staking who is going to break first and then that lightbulb goes off and its like they look at you "that's all you wanted? should have said"