Earl and Michigan

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I went to Montana,,,rain
come to the UP,,,rain

where is a drought since it looks like earl and I are rain magnets!

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
If you and Earl are rain magnets when are you leaving?? I need to have the rain gone by next Tuesday so I don't get my feet wet..

PS: Earl be lookin good there.....

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
If you and Earl are rain magnets when are you leaving?? I need to have the rain gone by next Tuesday so I don't get my feet wet..

PS: Earl be lookin good there.....

We’ve been around escanaba the last few days - drifting east today then heading home Friday i expect - should be clear skies and crisp weather by next week!

23mako

Ten Pointer
There is something magical about watching dogs do their work in the woods. Thanks for sharing.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looking good. How is the grouse population up there? That water can make for soggy hunting. You should be home just in time to get a good tropical soaking here.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
We’ve been around escanaba the last few days - drifting east today then heading home Friday i expect - should be clear skies and crisp weather by next week!

Good, take all the rain with you, I won't be there until Tuesday......... How about swinging through Mercer and leaving Earl with Betty (motel owner) and tell him I'll catch up next week....

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Good, take all the rain with you, I won't be there until Tuesday......... How about swinging through Mercer and leaving Earl with Betty (motel owner) and tell him I'll catch up next week....

no can do - earl and I have a date with some marsh hens down in GA next weekend,,,,

good thing I have that project in Brunswick now,,,gives me an excuse to hunt and fish down there in between work duties

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lookin good. Ahhh I remember the woods up there. Seems like in the areas where we hunted the grouse used to love the lower areas right outside of the conifers right where they would transition to the lower ground. If there was some taller grass you could just about always count on getting into some if you ran into that combination.

I am not a grouse expert so I have absolutely no idea what would draw them to that kind of terrain but they would be there.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
been a heck of a whirlwind - went to Louisiana to do a work weekend at the club, then up to the UP to hunt and now headed home for a few days before travels for work

Earl and I had a great time - more of a recon trip than anything - informed us for the future, plus he had a grand old time

now to get home and whack a deer,,,need some fresh meat

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

A plate of Swedish chow - dont see many swedish cafes in NC! Thats swedish meatballs with lingonberry jam,, potato sausage, potato dumpling, mashed rutabagas and some slaw

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Beautiful woods. That's a LOT of driving.

Oh heck

Drove home from SE Georgia on a Wednesday, switched gears and was in SW Louisiana Friday afternoon - did a work weekend, headed to Michigan on Sunday afternoon. Got there and hunted 5 days then drove home

Head back to Georgia this Wednesday for a week

Yeap, lots of windshield time but the wanderlust is strong in me

timber

Twelve Pointer
Oh heck

Drove home from SE Georgia on a Wednesday, switched gears and was in SW Louisiana Friday afternoon - did a work weekend, headed to Michigan on Sunday afternoon. Got there and hunted 5 days then drove home

Head back to Georgia this Wednesday for a week

Yeap, lots of windshield time but the wanderlust is strong in me

Havent heard much out of earl lately. Is he resting up till after deer season

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Havent heard much out of earl lately. Is he resting up till after deer season

oh heck no but thanks,,,I have been negligent,,,

,,,,since Michigan we have gone hunting in coastal Louisiana (ducks) where he learned all about mud boats,,,I didn't allow any retrieving due to alligators,,,

tomorrow we head out for some wild quail covey searches,,,we know where some WERE,,,no to see if they are still there,,,
then Dec is back to LA and in mid month we head to the Big Bend of Texas for quail and hogs,,,

I saved some blood from the doe I shot,,,and the hide,,,blood trail tracking starts next week,,,,

In January we head to Kansas for late season pheasant,,,

and in between all that is NC / SC ducks and woodcock,,,,

ol' Earl gets some rest when I have to travel without him,,,,but generally we are in the woods,,,

timber

Twelve Pointer
Thats a heck of a schedule. Seen a few more quail this year picking beans than last couple years. But the were around some cutovers you about have crawl through. They were definitely safe from man

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I get the wanderlust too, body aches since the car flattened me, even in my late 30s I can’t do quite that much windshield. I fly a lot though so seats a seat I guess. With 4 kids I find after I’m homesick and spend a few days the desire to travel kicks in😁 To be honest, the solitude then chaos takes adjustment. Just when I’ve gotten readjusted the travel flares again.

I told my Wife, as soon as the career settles and kids grow some a bird dog is next. Never hunted birds beyond grouse with Rimfire and a dove hunt with Lee/LastTombStone. They weren’t flying that day. There’s Pheasant stocking here in PA so that might be the excuse. I like the multi game dog idea though. Thought it was an anomaly not a breed thing but I’ve zero experience. Look forward to following your adventures.