E-collar

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
What e- collar have you had good success with?
For various reason I'm moving away from sportdog. I will have a brand new 425 for sale soon if anyone is interested.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I like the old TriTronics and the Garmin pro series for training but in the field I don’t the like the size of the controller.
Well I am carrying an Alpha anyway so it doesn't make a difference. Fits right in my bib pocket and I have a retractable lanyard on it like a key caddy in case it slips out.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Well I am carrying an Alpha anyway so it doesn't make a difference. Fits right in my bib pocket and I have a retractable lanyard on it like a key caddy in case it slips out.

Does the Alpha have all the features of the others I’ve seen them but never really looked into them. The 2 things I don’t like about mine is it’s only for one collar and I wish it had a light.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, wider range of stimulation, you can turn lights on or off or make them strobe, you have stimulation constant or momentary plus tone and and you can track other hunters that have an alpha if you wish.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Yep, wider range of stimulation, you can turn lights on or off or make them strobe, you have stimulation constant or momentary plus tone and and you can track other hunters that have an alpha if you wish.

Nice when the time comes I may just have to check them out. I really like the light feature on dark mornings trying to unload the boat and my black dog just disappears even beside me.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nice when the time comes I may just have to check them out. I really like the light feature on dark mornings trying to unload the boat and my black dog just disappears even beside me.
Heck, 6 out of my 9 are black. I am used to them disappearing. But they better not do it to I tell them.

Willie

Twelve Pointer
I’ve been using the Garmin Pro 70 for 5 years now and like it fine. I’m only running one dog, so it does fine.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I run the garmin sport pro along with a couple buddies. Remote is small enough not to get in the way and controls are basic. Momentary or constant, tone and vibrate and has lights

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Dogtra 1900S for two years. Was suggested by the trainer that I sent my dog to and is his go to collar for hunting. It is very easy to use. The remote is small and fits well in the hand with a long range. The clip makes it easy to clip to my waders in a very user-friendly position. Has 127 level of stimulation but my 75lb lab only needs level 60 at most. Vibration, nick and constant buttons which are easy to access but not too easily confused between each when needed. The collar is not too big and holds a charge for a long time.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Dogtra 1900S for two years. Was suggested by the trainer that I sent my dog to and is his go to collar for hunting. It is very easy to use. The remote is small and fits well in the hand with a long range. The clip makes it easy to clip to my waders in a very user-friendly position. Has 127 level of stimulation but my 75lb lab only needs level 60 at most. Vibration, nick and constant buttons which are easy to access but not too easily confused between each when needed. The collar is not too big and holds a charge for a long time.
That’s the one I’m looking at, the 1902 actually. Looking and getting and working another lab in the near future.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Garmin 550 is nice, I like the easy to access buttons myself. 550+ if you want GPS functionality on it.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Dang CountryRN, I can get my lab’s attention with a 40 and they are about the same! Dogtra 1900NCP. But fortunately I seldom have had to use it. A low level “nick” gets the correction I need. image.jpg

Last edited:

kingsize

Four Pointer
I train almost daily and use a dogtra edge RT.

The advantage over the 1900 model is that I can give a variety of nick levels (low, medium, high) without turning the dial. If there is no response with a low then I will go up without having to use my other hand.

The downside is the transmitter size. I figured I trained more than I hunted, so I favored features over size.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I think the edge is a little much for me. I was debating on the 1902 because the nick vs constant is on a toggle. I had to think about my training style and I rarely use the nick feature. I find that using the constant button as a nick allows me to have more control over the pressure. Rather than intensity changing the duration changes.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Every dog responds differently to stimulus input. I’ve worked with and trained dogs where all one needs is to raise their voice to get one‘s attention whereas a few others that can almost run through the highest settings and only yelp when hit. It’s up to trainers (amateur or pro) to properly condition their dogs and know what their threshold is in order not to break one down. I’ve seen several dogs that would hardly go for fear of messing up and being continuously “forced“ to a bumper. Only time they wagged their tail and ran back full force was when they had completed the task.

labman63

Ten Pointer
Had tri tronics pro 100 for several years. Bought a 550 when they came out. No issues but a friend talked me into a dogtra Edge RT. I now have Garmin/tri tronics 550 again. To me the garmin transmitter is easier to use in the dark or with out looking down at it.