Dunstan Chestnuts

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I planted 10 about 8-10 years ago on a ridge after a tornado went thru and deer wear them out. It’s a cross between the wild chestnuts the blight wiped out and a Chinese to make them blight resistant. Actually the guy that came up with the cross was from Greensboro NC in the 50’s or 60’s. Mine are about 30’ tall and are now bearing pretty heavy. If you are looking for a tree that provides excellent mass during bow season and deer will walk by everything to eat, give them a try. They will begin to bear around 6 years and just get better and better.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've got four planted. They were 3 year olds when I planted. They are seven this year and are producing a decent crop. I got some seeds in refrig to plant in spring

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
That’s odd because there’s a few planted where I hunt. The place with all the sawtooths. I have never saw deer mess with’em. No sign under the trees and they’re loaded every year. Squirrels sure enjoy them though.
Don’t take that as an argument or me doubting you, I know all critters love’em. And I’ve alwYs been puzzled why the deer on that property literally ignore them.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That’s odd because there’s a few planted where I hunt. The place with all the sawtooths. I have never saw deer mess with’em. No sign under the trees and they’re loaded every year. Squirrels sure enjoy them though.
Don’t take that as an argument or me doubting you, I know all critters love’em. And I’ve alwYs been puzzled why the deer on that property literally ignore them.

They kill mine and underneath ground is covered in deer droppings. It’s a rarity to find one on the ground. That is odd but might be something falling around same time they like better.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah deer love Dunstan Chestnuts. I planted 100 trees up in Northampton. The deer ate the trees down to a nub.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you think about it, it was the largest mast producing tree in North America at one time.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I know a spot in Caswell that has maybe 8 chestnut trees and the Hogs tear them up. squirrels too but the hogs love them things..