Dumping Trash in the Uwharrie National Forest.

ncnat

Ten Pointer
Something is going on with the trash. Found a tarp with some of the trash on it. I saw part of the trash that was scattered down the road last Saturday and found the big pile today.IMG_20210106_155900354.jpg

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Something is going on with the trash. Found a tarp with some of the trash on it. I saw part of the trash that was scattered down the road last Saturday and found the big pile today.View attachment 58445

Looks like maybe someone has gone through the trash looking for "evidence".
Nothing to do with this in particular: I think this was when Scotland County created a "solid waste officer" or something. Local paper, The Laurinburg Exchange, had an article about the officer and trash dumping. In the article, it said a way the officer determines who is the responsible person is by looking through trash. If he finds mail, prescriptions, anything with name and address he knows who was responsible. Anyway..you get it. I was sitting at my parents kitchen table when I read it. I remember throwing my arms up and said something like, "The idiots just told how they catch people. So the ones that hear about this won't put mail, etc. in the trash they dump.". Morons. lol

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like maybe someone has gone through the trash looking for "evidence".
Nothing to do with this in particular: I think this was when Scotland County created a "solid waste officer" or something. Local paper, The Laurinburg Exchange, had an article about the officer and trash dumping. In the article, it said a way the officer determines who is the responsible person is by looking through trash. If he finds mail, prescriptions, anything with name and address he knows who was responsible. Anyway..you get it. I was sitting at my parents kitchen table when I read it. I remember throwing my arms up and said something like, "The idiots just told how they catch people. So the ones that hear about this won't put mail, etc. in the trash they dump.". Morons. lol

The people that do this aren't that smart.

Ho ace

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I really don't get why someone would do this or the fact that whomever dumped this must have been piling their trash at their home for many months. I bet that was some smelly and nasty stuff.

I hope they are forced to clean it up themselves.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
The people that do this aren't that smart.

Unfortunately, I've gone through plenty of trash that has no mail or anything else identifying the dumpers. Days, some several weeks worth of household trash with nothing with a name. Speculation of course...guy who worked for dad and myself said the used condom in the envelope may have been left as a booby trap for me. From then on, not just stick to look through trash...gloves are MANDATORY. Disgusting a-holes!!!

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I really don't get why someone would do this or the fact that whomever dumped this must have been piling their trash at their home for many months. I bet that was some smelly and nasty stuff.

I hope they are forced to clean it up themselves.

I'm going to post a picture or 2 of a "residence" later on when I have more time. You won't believe how some people live.

Ho ace

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'm going to post a picture or 2 of a "residence" later on when I have more time. You won't believe how some people live.

I drive all over the place and should take some photos too.

Across from our hunt property there is a new doublewide sitting in a small field with no landscaping. Last year after Christmas he threw his Christmas tree out the front door and there is stayed for at least 6 months...he could have easily drug it a couple of hundred feet to the treeline behind the home. I just don't get it

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The people that fish from the shore of Belews Lake are some of the nastiest litterbugs on the planet. `

ncnat

Ten Pointer
I've seen over the years that the owners of the trash paid someone to take it to the dump and the workers up their profits by illegally dumping.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
I've seen over the years that the owners of the trash paid someone to take it to the dump and the workers up their profits by illegally dumping.
I haven’t personally heard of it before, but that was a scenario I was going to ask about. If I paid someone to haul trash and they dumped it to keep from paying the landfill, am I still responsible since everything in it will have my name?

ncnat

Ten Pointer
I haven’t personally heard of it before, but that was a scenario I was going to ask about. If I paid someone to haul trash and they dumped it to keep from paying the landfill, am I still responsible since everything in it will have my name?
We normally charge the dumper in these cases. The owners are very cooperative when they find out what's happened.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns

Had that happen once that I knew of. The officer went to the residence and turned out he knew the guy. The person who claimed he paid someone to haul it had done community service at the landfill. lol. He was responsible and had to remove the trash. It was quite a bit, some heavy...well over the felony amount. Officer wouldn't charge him unless he didn't get trash up. I wish they would be charged as well as having to get the trash up.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Had that happen once that I knew of. The officer went to the residence and turned out he knew the guy. The person who claimed he paid someone to haul it had done community service at the landfill. lol. He was responsible and had to remove the trash. It was quite a bit, some heavy...well over the felony amount. Officer wouldn't charge him unless he didn't get trash up. I wish they would be charged as well as having to get the trash up.

This is the problem with the USA these days....nobody has to pay for their actions or get a slap on the wrist.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns

And..pay the price. Wish this happened to the pos males. And those nasty, gut toting, sasquatch females(NCS, qualify? Sorry..lol).

samuelrp

Eight Pointer
I’ve had tires, landscape timber’s, trash, sofas, and 13 old computer monitors at once dumped on my property. The spot is on a state maintained gravel road and the DOT is tired of cleaning it up, LOL. I rarely find anything with an address label on it.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We have a large landfill in the center of the county as well as satellite sites scattered across the county, all available at no fee except for construction debris etc. Yet, garbage is still dumped and thrown out all over. It really is disgraceful.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We have a large landfill in the center of the county as well as satellite sites scattered across the county, all available at no fee except for construction debris etc. Yet, garbage is still dumped and thrown out all over. It really is disgraceful.
We've got a property that's on the first gravel road 2 miles down the road from a county dump, and it has seen plenty of illegal dumping along the road over the decades. There is no excuse for it, but the county waste department isn't always helping. I believe the majority of it is items that were not accepted at the dump or the dump was closed. It's rarely any bagged trash - usually tires, sofas, appliances and other large items.

I absolutely hate dumping, but I do understand the difficulty in trying to dispose of waste properly. A man pays 25 different kinds of taxes to live in the area he does, with no trash service offered, and when he goes to the dump it's either closed or they tell him he can't dump it there. He needs to drive 30 minutes to the county landfill and pay cash money to get rid of his trash. I would do it, but many folks will not - either because they are lazy, or they aren't going to pay to get rid of trash.

It doesn't help when you hire trash nazi's to run the dump. When I was younger and had to make dump runs for my family, the attendant always wanted to give me a hard time about having too many containers. Where I live now, certain items are considered "hazardous waste, and there are only 2 days a month(!) you can dispose of it, and it has to go to a special facility. Fairly simple items like flourescent light bulbs or a gallon of waste diesel fuel.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The state/county could do a lot to help out illegal dumping by making trash dumps open 7 days a week, and not requiring payment to dump normal household items.

There are a lot of people who just aren't going to pay to dump their old sofa or that spare set of tires when they can haul it down a gravel road and kick it out of the back of the truck.

There are a lot of creative ways the counties could create fewer disincentives to legal disposal of waste. *I am in no way excusing any kind of dumping*. But real policies in the real world can have an affect on how big the problem is.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I put 5 gallon buckets of used oil in old tires on a trailer to help keep the buckets in place. Recycled the oil from tractor, cotton pickers, truck and the tires. Attendant told me there was a limit/year on tires. May have gotten 7 tires/buckets on the trailer..had some other stuff. Brought a partial load next time due to limit. Thought then that limit might end up with more dumping and as a tax payer, that sucked.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Old habits die hard too when I was little every farm had a gully or somewhere they threw trash you couldn’t burn unfortunately some folks still think they can do this just because it was “what granddaddy did”

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Be careful poking around in piles of trash as some of the meth making byproducts can be rather dangerous.

not to mention needles. I found an empty pack of Newports someone threw on my yard while cutting grass. Top was open and there was a syringe in there. Doubt it was for insulin shot.