Duke’s Southern Sauces

ol bob

Six Pointer
Don't know about all this sauce stuff, but I do know you can get some of the best bbq in the world in Shelby N.C.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I think we're just spoiled here in NC. We have the best sauces and the best pork bbq in the world.
I've always heard "Lexington style" and "Eastern style".
In recent years, growing notoriety of the SC mustard based sauces and the Alabama white sauce.
Texas bbq is beef(to me). Their sauce is made to flavor the beef. Not pork.

Anyone can like whatever sauce they enjoy most. Or, at that specific time. Doesn't change the style of sauce it is.
Western to me means Texas style.
Lexington style is the ketchup based.
Eastern is the vinegar base.
The others self explanetory.

Me ? I'm a fat boy.... I like both Lexington and Eastern sauces. I agree with the poster above that I don't like my bbq swimming in sauce. The meat should be able to stand alone. A sauce is for enhancing a flavor... not drowning it.
I even like a good Texas style sauce with that extra smoky flavor. On a well cooked and seasoned brisket, it's good. But, shouldn't be necessary.

All that being said, I sure would'a liked a big 'ol plate of that stuff @QBD2 was cooking up on that grill !😁😁🤣🤣🤣

Pretty much agree with everything Hunting Nut said. I'm not a fat boy, but should be. Wife said I have hollow toes. Lol. I LOVE FOOD, like many different sauces. When I make my own sauces, for pork, sometimes it's thicker due to ketchup being used, but has enough cider vinegar that you can tell it's there. Other times it's cider vinegar with the normal extras added. I like the cider vinegar based for mopping. Sometimes I mop the pork while cooking then don't add any sauce once it's on the plate. But, there is always hot sauce of some type on the table. As said earlier, I LOVE FOOD. Lol.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I haven’t tried any of the dukes sauces, other than the white sauce and the ranch, and they’re pretty good. As they should be from a mayo company.

Sauce is a lot like Q in general. There’s some that’s terrible, lots of edible, and a very few that are exceptional.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Ive eaten at some of the “top” bbq places in the state….but all of the best ive ever had has come from someones backyard or some type of fundraiser event.
I agree! The very best BBQ for the uninitiated to real eastern style barbecue is a whole 100-125# pig cooked slowly overnight on a homemade cinderblock, wire mesh sandwiched pig, & sheet metal lid cooker. The porker is mopped occasionally w/ a kitchen mop using a couple of gallons of vinegar BBQ sauce. This of course entails being accompanied by good friends, cold beers, lounge chairs & sky full of stars. BTW, real barbecue originated in eastern NC from a method used by the native Indians. All the rest is just imitation! 😉

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I haven’t tried any of the dukes sauces, other than the white sauce and the ranch, and they’re pretty good. As they should be from a mayo company.

Sauce is a lot like Q in general. There’s some that’s terrible, lots of edible, and a very few that are exceptional.
IMO, Duke's Carolina Gold BBQ sauce fits that bill...not bad, edible but nothing exceptional.