Duke’s Southern Sauces

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I was asked what I wanted for dipping sauces tonight and I said my usual. To a response I got was why don’t I try something new and was presented with some Duke’s Southern sauces.

1B843638-1A1B-4177-A510-6BBDCDEA486D.jpeg

Both were good but the Georgia I liked better than the Tennessee.

I have a Hickory Moonshine to try next. There are four more flavors, reckon I’ll try them out at some point.

But…. this duckery?!? The piedmont region of western North Carolina?!?

A8A46625-5132-45E4-A646-1B7568E03ECD.jpeg

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Well I got called out, but I've been here since 1996 and I know my NC barbecue. I read too much into the "vinegar based" part of the description. Didn't pay attention to the "western" that you highlighted.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a coworker who is a condiment connoisseur. He has informed me that some of the dukes sauces are rather good. Im glad I now have two decent opinions on this. Ill have to try it.

As far as this east/west bbq sauce deal….i dont really get it. They all have their merit. Ive had good white sauces, mustard bases, tomato, vinegar…..i dont really think any of them are comparable. They are different strokes.

What i really dislike is drowning bbq in sauce. If the pork is right, you really only need a hint of sauce. Swimming in sauce is just not my thing.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I assume your "beef" is with the carolina vinegar being from the piedmont area when we all know its eastern cackalacky
I assumed the same. By land area, the piedmont is in the western half. Even if you split the state down the middle, a good part of the piedmont would be in the western half. That’s merely semantics. But confusing western style barbecue with vinegar sauce? That’s a much bigger mistake.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
For a fish taco sauce or spicey mayo for sushi sauce mix some dukes with Siracha. Also works well with ranch dressing

6mm250

Eight Pointer
BBQ done right does not need any sauce.

BBQ that does not have smoke is not BBQ.

If sauce is desired it should be applied to each individuals taste , i.e. on side. If you are cooking in a restaurant you don't salt & pepper a customer's scrambled eggs , why would you sauce their BBQ ?

I've eaten BBQ all over the state of NC.

Most generally the tomato people in the west have the sauce thing right , it's on the side , usually a variety of sauces in bottles on the table.

Most generally the vinegar people want to bring you a plate of BBQ that's swimming in vinegar with 1 bottle of the same vinegar on the table. If I wanted pickled pig I'd go to Food Lion & get a jar of pickled pigs feet.

Mike
What i really dislike is drowning bbq in sauce. If the pork is right, you really only need a hint of sauce. Swimming in sauce is just not my thing.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I assumed the same. By land area, the piedmont is in the western half. Even if you split the state down the middle, a good part of the piedmont would be in the western half. That’s merely semantics.

Here's how NC is divided into the three regions. Mandatory learning back when I was in elementary school.nc_counties.png

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I think we're just spoiled here in NC. We have the best sauces and the best pork bbq in the world.
I've always heard "Lexington style" and "Eastern style".
In recent years, growing notoriety of the SC mustard based sauces and the Alabama white sauce.
Texas bbq is beef(to me). Their sauce is made to flavor the beef. Not pork.

Anyone can like whatever sauce they enjoy most. Or, at that specific time. Doesn't change the style of sauce it is.
Western to me means Texas style.
Lexington style is the ketchup based.
Eastern is the vinegar base.
The others self explanetory.

Me ? I'm a fat boy.... I like both Lexington and Eastern sauces. I agree with the poster above that I don't like my bbq swimming in sauce. The meat should be able to stand alone. A sauce is for enhancing a flavor... not drowning it.
I even like a good Texas style sauce with that extra smoky flavor. On a well cooked and seasoned brisket, it's good. But, shouldn't be necessary.

All that being said, I sure would'a liked a big 'ol plate of that stuff @QBD2 was cooking up on that grill !😁😁🤣🤣🤣

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I think we're just spoiled here in NC. We have the best sauces and the best pork bbq in the world.
I've always heard "Lexington style" and "Eastern style".
In recent years, growing notoriety of the SC mustard based sauces and the Alabama white sauce.
Texas bbq is beef(to me). Their sauce is made to flavor the beef. Not pork.

Anyone can like whatever sauce they enjoy most. Or, at that specific time. Doesn't change the style of sauce it is.
Western to me means Texas style.
Lexington style is the ketchup based.
Eastern is the vinegar base.
The others self explanetory.

Me ? I'm a fat boy.... I like both Lexington and Eastern sauces. I agree with the poster above that I don't like my bbq swimming in sauce. The meat should be able to stand alone. A sauce is for enhancing a flavor... not drowning it.
I even like a good Texas style sauce with that extra smoky flavor. On a well cooked and seasoned brisket, it's good. But, shouldn't be necessary.

All that being said, I sure would'a liked a big 'ol plate of that stuff @QBD2 was cooking up on that grill !😁😁🤣🤣🤣
I had a big plate of QBD2's bbq last night and it was outstanding!!
I didn't even think about putting any sauce on it that's how good it was.
Perfect smoke flavor!

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I had a big plate of QBD2's bbq last night and it was outstanding!!
I didn't even think about putting any sauce on it that's how good it was.
Perfect smoke flavor!

I gave you a like emoji because we don't have a green mad emoji...or one that smiles and says "that's so nice" meaning a laughing eff you. Not mad, just very jealous.
I'm glad ya'll had a great meal.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Here's how NC is divided into the three regions. Mandatory learning back when I was in elementary school.View attachment 101122
I appreciate that, but since I was born here and have spent my whole life here, including 4th grade, I've got that covered.

Now draw a line down the middle and tell me does Lexington fall in the eastern half or the western half? Or maybe you could point out which section is labeled "western" on that map? I was born and raised less than 10 miles from Lexington. I know all about it, and even though it would have been more accurate to say "central NC", when comparing it to the "eastern" sauce, "western NC" is not completely wrong either. Confusing it with vinegar sauce from the "eastern" half of the state, well, that's just plain wrong.

Last edited:

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I appreciate that, but since I was born here and have spent my whole life here, including 4th grade, I've got that covered.

Now draw a line down the middle and tell me does Lexington fall in the eastern half or the western half? Or maybe you could point out which section is labeled "western" on that map? I was born and raised less than 10 miles from Lexington. I know all about it, and even though it would have been more accurate to say "central NC", when comparing it to the "eastern" sauce, "western NC" it's not completely wrong either. Confusing it with vinegar sauce from the "eastern" half of the state, well, that's just plain wrong.
You can't divide east vs west about the sauces in NC.
That's just what morons from other places do on the googly machine that can only fathom two choices. East/West ; North, South.
I think we're spoiled(or blessed) to have the fantastic sauces we have to choose from here in NC. There doesn't have to be a "winner". Enjoy what you will, so to speak.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I dont understand the big argument about bbq styles and sauces across NC. Ive had all kinds that were outstanding and plenty that was ok. Rare to have it bad.

They really cant narrow it down to E vs W or E vs Lex. There isnt really a set baseline to tell when a sauce becomes one or the other. People have different opinions of what constitutes Eastern Sauce just like the “western/lexington” sauce.

Good pork is good by itself. It is also good sprinkled with vinegar. It will be good with mayo, mustard, and probably lightly with ketchup.

Someone posted a sauce recipe on this site a few years ago that was fairly heavy in black pepper and mainly apple cider vinegar. May have been a few other items in it. That was a good solid sauce. Had a lot of sweetness to it.