Dude, how bad has Rocky Mount gotten?

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I got a buddy with land by Gold Rock! I remember the dead crackhead found days later under a motel bed. The room was still being rented?......

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My wife is from there, and has family that works for the city. The stuff they talk about that never makes the news is unreal.
I teach school on the Edgecombe side of RM...had a parent get murdered Dec. 23!!!

23mako

Ten Pointer
I go to RM several days a week for work and never really go south of 64. My friend lives in one of those houses near the mill and hasn't had any issues so far. I avoid the downtown area like the plague. They just built that sports complex there but if the gangbangers are outside in full force it won't do a damn thing.

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
Been working in rocky mount for over 2.5 years now, and frequently go to walmart, petsmart, some restaurants etc without any problems. But I have heard its been BAD!!

And what does the whole "I-95 town" mean? Why is I-95 something to watch out for?

23mako

Ten Pointer
Been working in rocky mount for over 2.5 years now, and frequently go to walmart, petsmart, some restaurants etc without any problems. But I have heard its been BAD!!

And what does the whole "I-95 town" mean? Why is I-95 something to watch out for?

Because of the slime that runs up and down the interstate from NY to FL. The slime seeps into the towns along the way.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer

I-95 is a drug pipeline from Miami to the northeast

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Hell my high school girlfriend was from there and it was bad back in the 80’s. The folks would drive up from Florida with the drugs and the folks would drive down from New York and meet in the middle and sometimes the deals went bad and folks got killed. I can’t remember where I saw it, but at one time the per capita murder rate in Rocky Mount was comparable to any big city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
People get all worried about the big city crime...The fact is that most large cities are safer (generally speaking) than smaller regional towns. And, most violent crime is contained between people involved in violent business. I know half a dozen people in Rocky Mount (or similar places around here; Henderson or Fayetteville or Lumberton) and they don't seem worried; they don't leave the iPad out on the front seat of the car, but otherwise avoiding "laying with dogs" and you avoid the fleas.

Its like saying Chicago has more traffic accidents; of course it does, it has Millions of cars in the city at a time. Its just a question of who can summon the biggest microphone and camera and stay in front of it, loudly.

Below is Wilmington in December.
https://portcitydaily.com/local-new...olice-say-recent-spree-could-be-gang-related/

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Three murdered in a week. Rocky Mount, NC is bad. News don't tell what goes on daily. Most people here would rather shop in Wilson. You want to have good experience go to Walmart at night. I limit my trips to only a few places in Rocky Mount. I work with people that live in some rough sections of the city, the stories they have make a person hope they are never caught up in such places at the wrong time. Ranked was one of the worst cities in the US for per capita murders/violent crimes. Ranked 4th in US for people on food stamps. https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ies-with-most-people-on-food-stamps/37017367/

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would wager Roanoke Rapids/Weldon and Henderson are worse the Rocky Mount. Even Warren County is getting bad.
They may be worse, but I never see any issues when I am up there. Anything between/around the 85/95 corridor is subject to heavy drug traffic

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I live in Roanoke Rapids and for a town it's size it is pretty bad but I believe Rocky Mount takes the prize.
Alot of reasons for high crime, but the major component in all these towns is drugs!

sent from...... Tapatalk

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would wager Roanoke Rapids/Weldon and Henderson are worse the Rocky Mount. Even Warren County is getting bad.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing while reading this thread. We never go into Henderson after dark if we can help it........

Reactions: DRS

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We lived in Henderson for 15 years up until 10 years ago. My lawn mower was stolen right after I moved there. A few years later, a boat motor was stolen and shortly after that, my house was broken into and I was nearly cleaned out. While at the Wal-mart one day, all the tools were stolen out of my truck tool box. For our last few years there, if I HAD to go to town after dark, I made sure I was packing. I spent most of my time in Warren County, and I hated having to leave my friends and job there, but we had very few regrets about getting out of Henderson.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We lived in Henderson for 15 years up until 10 years ago. My lawn mower was stolen right after I moved there. A few years later, a boat motor was stolen and shortly after that, my house was broken into and I was nearly cleaned out. While at the Wal-mart one day, all the tools were stolen out of my truck tool box. For our last few years there, if I HAD to go to town after dark, I made sure I was packing. I spent most of my time in Warren County, and I hated having to leave my friends and job there, but we had very few regrets about getting out of Henderson.

We lived all over the world during our military careers including a tour in Detroit, and never had a problem. Been broken into twice since we moved to the Henderson area.........

........And I never go to the Henderson Walmart; you're just asking for trouble if you do.