Duck ID

TH7

Eight Pointer
Duck was sent to me wondering what type. Was killed in VA. Had a couple people agree with me possiby park duck mallard. Blue bill had me wondering wigeon. Definitely no pro on hybrids. Also realize could not be full colors. Had another say black duck and mallard. Picture makes it look big. Duck came in by itself.

Attachments

• 20191130_140606.jpg
    20191130_140606.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 161

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Ran it past the Virginia waterfowl biologist bc I can’t figure it out. He guessed a Ring necked X mallard

Reactions: TH7

TH7

Eight Pointer
Wing pics. Good question I didn't think about!

Attachments

• 2000000001019146.jpg
    2000000001019146.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 2000000001019148.jpeg
    2000000001019148.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 105

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Now the Biologist is not sure after the wing pic. He’s thinking ring necked, scaup, maybe wigeon. I like the Muscovy mix.

The real question is does this count as a true bonus duck since it’s unidentifiable.

Neverfail

Spike
Now the Biologist is not sure after the wing pic. He’s thinking ring necked, scaup, maybe wigeon. I like the Muscovy mix.

The real question is does this count as a true bonus duck since it’s unidentifiable.

It would count towards your 6 duck limit. To me it looks like it has some black duck in it. I’ve killed a lot of black ducks in NJ and this looks like it has black duck in it.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
It would count towards your 6 duck limit. To me it looks like it has some black duck in it. I’ve killed a lot of black ducks in NJ and this looks like it has black duck in it.

I asked him, it counts as “other” you would be allowed 6

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
And the GW would likely count it as a Black Duck, limit 1 in NC, limit 2 in VA.

Would be interesting to know if it has rice breast. I understand around 30 percent of Black Ducks in Mid-Atlantic have rice breast, other species much less common to have it.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer

Would be interesting to know if it has rice breast. I understand around 30 percent of Black Ducks in Mid-Atlantic have rice breast, other species much less common to have it.
Can kill 2 blackducks in NC

shurshot

Ten Pointer

I agree, has a lot of black duck qualities about it no doubt.

Interesting about the rice breast comment for blacks. We shot a lot of them last year (thank goodness for 2/person) and based on that percentage we should have seen it in at least 6 of the birds, yet not one of the total had it.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I don't think any GW would call that a black duck, it clearly isn't. Aside from being brown, nothing about it says black duck. The underside of wing is wrong. Speculum is wrong. Color of feet is wrong. Head is wrong. Bill color is wrong.

To me, it looks like some sort of park duck mutt.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Wouldn't count as a black for sure, it’s not. Speculum of blacks can have that greenish shade. Can look different from the angle of light hitting it. Leg color can be more washed out more than normal on early younger birds. Also thought it’s breast (not back or wings) had a black duck look. Other than that nada else ....8E2C7054-9649-4DA4-92CD-862B76DBFEBC.jpegAC03A64D-9E03-4641-B91A-F7F84FEE1125.jpeg

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I don't think any GW would call that a black duck, it clearly isn't. Aside from being brown, nothing about it says black duck. The underside of wing is wrong. Speculum is wrong. Color of feet is wrong. Head is wrong. Bill color is wrong.

I would agree with you, however I would post this experience as a cautionary tale of how things could go.

We were once stopped at a game stop in North Dakota (all hunters pull to the rest area.) We had a full possession limit of Hen Mallards (limit at that time was 5 mallards, 2 hens, six ducks, posession limit was 3x daily limit.) Since it was early season, we had some juvenile drakes. We went by the bill. The idjits doing the cooler checks didn't. They wrote so certain they had already written the ticket by the time the "expert" got over there and looked for half a second and said "drake, look at the bill" and walked on. I wonder if they didn't have the expert there if they're all that unqualified.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns

You clearly haven’t met any gw’s in nc. I’ve yet to meet one that had an IQ of >20. Got checked by at high rock one time. Had a single hen mallard in the bag, that is all. Gw came up and instantly started inspecting the bird, held us for 40 minutes while he took pictures of it and sent it to his gw buddy for “certain identification” other gw pulls up, finally after the most ridiculous conversation I’ve ever had they went on their merry way. I literally asked them what they thought it was and they gave no answers they just said “we just wanted to make sure you didn’t have an illegal bird” lol idiots. I can only imagine if I had some half mallard half park duck half Muscovy in the bag what they would’ve said. They probably would’ve made it into a hen black scoter vs ruddy duck.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Ringneck x mallard?? That is not even close. May want to double check that waterfowl biologists future info
To be fair that was off the first pic only. I can see it. Bill color, head ect. After seeing the follow up pics that answer changed. No one knows what it is so can you really says it’s wrong?

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Grim, thanks for correction...not sure why I thought limit was 1. Good to know limit is 2, I found a pretty good area for blacks and am anxious for season to open again.
It's hard to believe after the limit being 1 for so long. It's nice to get that 2nd one when you find em