Duck hunting

Keith

Button Buck
Have you duck hunters been getting my divers down around pamlico and the south creek area in the lastvfew yrs

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Divers haven’t came up in the river in years, last good season in the river was 2014. Food source decreased. I live on the river, used to see large knots trading up and down the river. No more.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Divers haven’t came up in the river in years, last good season in the river was 2014. Food source decreased. I live on the river, used to see large knots trading up and down the river. No more.
Did they purposefully spray the grass or was it pollution or a storm or other event that killed it off?

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Did they purposefully spray the grass or was it pollution or a storm or other event that killed it off?
It wasn’t sprayed but in years past we had to take the kids to a few spots without grass to swim in the summer. Now they can play/swim on most of the river as there is little to no grass. Seems like about 5 years ago it started.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
It wasn’t sprayed but in years past we had to take the kids to a few spots without grass to swim in the summer. Now they can play/swim on most of the river as there is little to no grass. Seems like about 5 years ago it started. PCS is across from us but it’s been there for decades so I don’t think they are solely the cause. Seemed to have gotten worse after Matthew.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I think the EPA put some chemicals in there to kill all the grass and snails. There may be some divers there, and if they are there, they are on a supplemental feeding program set up by various volunteer activists that frequent the area. I would be careful getting near these supplemental feeding areas for a bunch of reasons I will not list here. :)

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
Have you duck hunters been getting my divers down around pamlico and the south creek area in the lastvfew yrs

I don't know if they are your divers, specifically. The ones I have shot did not say. If I shoot one that mentions you in it's last words, I will send you a PM.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I think the EPA put some chemicals in there to kill all the grass and snails. There may be some divers there, and if they are there, they are on a supplemental feeding program set up by various volunteer activists that frequent the area. I would be careful getting near these supplemental feeding areas for a bunch of reasons I will not list here. :)
Serious question; pursuant to the time when the grasses started to decline, was there an introduction of a herbicide-resistant crop? IE, a roundup ready cotton variety or something of the sort that meant that a bunch of herbicide was suddenly being introduced?

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Serious question; pursuant to the time when the grasses started to decline, was there an introduction of a herbicide-resistant crop? IE, a roundup ready cotton variety or something of the sort that meant that a bunch of herbicide was suddenly being introduced?
Only thing I have ever heard, and I could be completely wrong with this, is more cotton planted around the lake and the defoliant herbicide is some nasty stuff.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
All the long time fishermen there say the same thing. Once cotton came things started to deteriorate. It is more complicated than that but it plays a big factor. Invasive plants like hemp sesibania and phragmites do not respond to Roundup like more traditional weeds plus pigweed has become roundup resistant, That stuff is very common now and was not 10 years ago. Therefore there is a lot of Atrazine used as a pre emergence for broad leaf weeds. Atrazine was identified as a big culprit in the decline of SAV in the Chesapeake Bay.