Duck Hunting Ponds NC

XxJaCkHeReRxX

Button Buck
Im kinda new to duck hunting ponds and i just got 3 ponds to hunt this year. Im hunting in orange county and ill be hunting from a blind on the side of the pond. Does anyone have any tips or anything that could possibly help? Thanks in advance.

sandhills hunter

Ten Pointer
My best advice is to find a pond near where a little girl got a few baby ducklings from the Easter Bunny this past spring. This is where most of the mallards in NC come from.

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
Some ponds hold ducks, some don’t. Best bet is to scout them and see if ducks use them. I hunt several ponds, some can be great.

ctsnow

Six Pointer
We hunt in the NW part of the state and do pretty well hunting farm ponds.. Depending on the pond, we don't even consider hunting one unless it has 30+ birds on it. Some of our better spots we don't hunt unless there are 100+ birds on it. If there are only a few birds there (say 10-20) leave them be and you will more than likely reap the benefits later. Its pretty simple, ducks attract other ducks.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
From my observations, in my area, unless you can draw the water down and plant it or it has natural food such as hydrilla then most are a bust, other than a bird or 2 here and there. We've actually transplanted hydrilla to a pond and it now holds a few each yr. Also during a freeze if one is big enough to keep a little open water then that would be a good time to check it

Mallard Cutter

Six Pointer
If you can control the water level that makes a huge difference. otherwise you will probably kill a few here and there. Just don't hunt them more than about once a week .