Duck Hunting near Boone

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I don’t need spots, just curious about the opinion of the general area. My wife and I will be at a wedding up there this fall, wondering if it’s worth taking the dog and the 12ga? Went up that way during Florence last year but I only got to bow hunt. We’ve also talked about moving up there after I get out of the Marines next year, but I’d feel bad moving somewhere with no ducks, it would upset the dog awful bad ya know. I know it’s out of the way of most big migrators, but maybe there’s some places I could find a couple ducks?

Einstein

Six Pointer
I don’t need spots, just curious about the opinion of the general area. My wife and I will be at a wedding up there this fall, wondering if it’s worth taking the dog and the 12ga? Went up that way during Florence last year but I only got to bow hunt. We’ve also talked about moving up there after I get out of the Marines next year, but I’d feel bad moving somewhere with no ducks, it would upset the dog awful bad ya know. I know it’s out of the way of most big migrators, but maybe there’s some places I could find a couple ducks?

Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but leave the gun at home. Beautiful place to live however. Take the trout rod instead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I
Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but leave the gun at home. Beautiful place to live however. Take the trout rod instead!

Ive been looking for an excuse to take up fly fishing anyways. I’ll have to check the wedding dates with the season dates, maybe I’ll take the dog and gun and try to get my first grouse

Einstein

Six Pointer
I

Ive been looking for an excuse to take up fly fishing anyways. I’ll have to check the wedding dates with the season dates, maybe I’ll take the dog and gun and try to get my first grouse

Wonderful fly fishing in that area. When are you going to be around? I’m fishing that way a lot. Might could show you a trick or two.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I

Their almost as elusive as ducks in the mountains. LOL

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Wonderful fly fishing in that area. When are you going to be around? I’m fishing that way a lot. Might could show you a trick or two.

I can’t remember the wedding date, I wanna say it’s sometime in October but I might be wrong about that haha

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Why would anyone get married in October?? Does the bride not appreciate the fact that deer season is in, the date could coincide with the first waterfowl split? At the very least time away from work should be spent brushing blinds and working on food plots. Instead of having the wedding in Boone why not have the whole party go to Alberta or Sask. and have the wedding in conjunction with a fabulous duck and goose hunt. Nothing like saying I do to about 200 decoying mallards.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Few ducks on lake but not to close to boone. In Oct I'd take my 12 gauge for squirrels absolutely perfect time for scenery and squirrels. As far as trout fishing I would look to delayed harvest waters they are catch and release. Single hook artificial but offer plenty opportunity for new trout fisherman they will stick first week Oct so fish will be there

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Why would anyone get married in October?? Does the bride not appreciate the fact that deer season is in, the date could coincide with the first waterfowl split? At the very least time away from work should be spent brushing blinds and working on food plots. Instead of having the wedding in Boone why not have the whole party go to Alberta or Sask. and have the wedding in conjunction with a fabulous duck and goose hunt. Nothing like saying I do to about 200 decoying mallards.

Agree 100%. But neither the bride or groom hunt or fish. A true shame.

Mallard Cutter

Six Pointer
I can count on one hand the number of ducks that I have seen in the mtns. I know they are probably there , but where I wouldn't have a clue.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Does no good to see’em cause you can’t hunt’em, but I’ve seen several groups of blue wings in sept working on small rivers in western NC. Not numbers like you’d see in coastal areas but definitely enough to make it worth the time to go.