Duck Hunters Robbed in Pender Co.

Wlfpkmann 1178

They probably weren't thinking straight and/or high.
That said, there are some really nice Kydex chest holsters out there and I would rather have to spend a few minutes cleaning a pistol that got wet in the blind when I got home than getting robbed/killed.
Thugs shot one guy [probably in the leg] and the others did the smart thing and lived to hunt again.
Smart move IMO..
Absolutely. I always carry a secondary.

Reactions: RBR

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I usually have on a coat over waders. If I see you before you see me I will reach into my waders and pull it out and put it in one of my pockets. Then be very polite when we meet. But I'll be in Orange the whole time. These hunters were unfortunately and sadly in Condition White.

Some habits are a wonderful thing to learn and use. :)

Cooper’s Color Codes of Mental Awareness​

WHITE - Unaware and unprepared. If attacked in Condition White, the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy or ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty, your reaction will probably be "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."

YELLOW - Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself". You are simply aware that the world is a potentially unfriendly place and that you are prepared to defend yourself, if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and realize that "I may have to shoot today". You don't have to be armed in this state, but if you are armed you should be in Condition Yellow. You should always be in Yellow whenever you are in unfamiliar surroundings or among people you don't know. You can remain in Yellow for long periods, as long as you are able to "Watch your six." (In aviation 12 o'clock refers to the direction in front of the aircraft's nose. Six o'clock is the blind spot behind the pilot). In Yellow, you are "taking in" surrounding information in a relaxed but alert manner, like a continuous 360 degree radar sweep. As Cooper put it, "I might have to shoot."

ORANGE - Specific alert. Something is not quite right and has your attention. Your radar has picked up a specific alert. You shift your primary focus to determine if there is a threat (but you do not drop your six). Your mindset shifts to "I may have to shoot that person today", focusing on the specific target which has caused the escalation in alert status. In Condition Orange, you set a mental trigger: "If that person does "X", I will need to stop them". Your pistol usually remains holstered in this state. Staying in Orange can be a bit of a mental strain, but you can stay in it for as long as you need to. If the threat proves to be nothing, you shift back to Condition Yellow.

RED
- Condition Red is fight. Your mental trigger (established back in Condition Orange) has been tripped. "If "X" happens I will shoot that person".
I like to keep them on their toes and go full on code black. They may win, but I guarantee they’ll need a decade or better of counseling.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I like to keep them on their toes and go full on code black. They may win, but I guarantee they’ll need a decade or better of counseling.
Some years back I was in a stupor and ended up in a confrontation in the hood. Was surrounded by 6 dudes, and prob another dozen of their buddies watching . In my infinite wisdom I just stripped butt naked and started screaming at the top of my lungs about anything deranged I could think of. They actually got pretty freaked out and dispersed. Then an older gentleman came up to me and offered to take me to “the 6th floor” (the mental ward at the local hospital). I told him no I just had to diffuse the situation. He said “ain’t no shame in it man. Why don’t we get you over there. They know how to help people like you.” 🤣

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Most guys don't want anything to do with another naked guy. You might end up in a scuffle and things might get rubbed and touched and stuff. That's some really scary :poop: .

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I talked to someone who gave me the skinny on this incident. Duck hunters came in early, parked close to some houses, and shot on the creek near some houses. Finished hunting, had conversation with hood guys who accused them of shooting their house (not true), were called over to look at supposed house damage, and after putting guns away, were robbed and one guy shot in the foot, perhaps semi-intentionally (perp may have been shooting at the ground near his feet and had bad aim - typical of hood members).

While guys were far away enough from houses to be legal when they were shooting, it was too close for comfort I suppose. No excuse for reaction and robbing and shooting.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Somebody said something about most hunters unloading guns when the hunt is over....I guess my hunt is over when I’m sticking it back in a safe.

I get the safety aspect of it.....but then again, those folks have never had run ins with wild dogs or other instances.

Years ago I got all but run over by a buck when I was walking to a stand. I had to move out of his way. Something was off with that deer.