Duck Hunters Robbed in Pender Co.

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
Only thing I can think of is all the guns were unloaded and shells in the blind bag. Did sound like and ambush but still...

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Even when you intentionally shoot somebody?
Yep, if you don't have an extensive record and don't pose a flight risk. I don't know this for a fact but am guessing this covid crap probably plays into it also. They most likely are not incarcerating anyone they don't have to 'till they are convicted. I would have thought bond would have been a little higher.

Reactions: CRC

Dingbatter

Four Pointer
I had an incident when I was younger when I think someone had bad intentions with me. I had pull off the road preparing to go on a hunt early one morning. I noticed a car down the road that had stopped but was now coming toward me very slowly. I was standing on the passenger side of my truck with the door open when I pulled my shotgun from its case. The car was almost beside me at this point. Once the ones in the car saw me with that shotgun the gunned it and were gone. Don't know who they were or what they were up to but the sight of that shotgun changed their minds.

Clark

Ten Pointer
I sure wouldn't come out of the woods with my gun unloaded.
Came in to the ramp one night, long run with a 11' jon and 6hp so everyone else was gone from the ramp - except one other car was still there. I loaded gun and was walking to get the trailer when a guy stepped out of the woods. Game warden! Started giving me a hard time about shooting late, I just said it takes a while to pick up the spread when hunting alone then taking a slow boat back in. About that time someone fired out on the lake, GW asked me to run him out there in my boat. I said sorry, I only have one PFD. I don't think he got the 'slow boat' part, hopeless for me to run down any other boat out there.

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
Most hunters unload their gun when the hunt is over. They have probably hunted the area many times without incident and didn't think about it, came out with unloaded guns and dragging gear. If there was no other weapon and they caught me unprepared I would have taken the chance that I would just be robbed. It's easy to cowboy up when you are not in the situation yourself.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
I used to hunt off the parkway quite a bit, and never unloaded my gun, for the reasons mentioned here. I had a Ranger give me a load of :poop: once, after he asked me if my gun was loaded. My reply of, "my gun is loaded for the same reason yours is" initially didn't sit real well with him, but eventually he agreed not to ticket me. With all the stuff he had seen on the BRP, I guess he understood.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Well now those look like two fine upstanding gentleman they probably had just listened to Cortez and just needed buy some bread. Definately agree with tough situation for hunters easy 2nd guess but in moment I'm sure they just wanted to survive to get home. And for sure need backup weapon never know when trash like that maybe high and not want to leave any witness

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I love reading how a few of you internet heroes would not have let this happen to them. 🙄
You'd probably piss your pants and not know what to do. Even if you did try, you'd probably just end up getting one of your hunting buddies killed if not yourself.
If you all are responsible hunters, not one of your guns would be loaded and I doubt you would fair too well if you started digging in you coat for a concealed carry weapon. Let alone be able to pull the trigger if you did.
very easy to blow up your chest from behind a screen.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I love reading how a few of you internet heroes would not have let this happen to them. 🙄
You'd probably piss your pants and not know what to do. Even if you did try, you'd probably just end up getting one of your hunting buddies killed if not yourself.
If you all are responsible hunters, not one of your guns would be loaded and I doubt you would fair too well if you started digging in you coat for a concealed carry weapon. Let alone be able to pull the trigger if you did.
very easy to blow up your chest from behind a screen.
Yep, no idea where I'd put a CCW in my duck hunting gear. I mean, I could easily do it, but it would be pointless since it would be a two minute process to dig it out. I would probably say, "screw it, I'm carrying a 12 gauge, why do I need a pistol?"

That said I do pull an orange hat out when i walk out in case I see a squirrel or woodcock on the walk out, and don't unload it til I'm at the truck.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, no idea where I'd put a CCW in my duck hunting gear. I mean, I could easily do it, but it would be pointless since it would be a two minute process to dig it out. I would probably say, "screw it, I'm carrying a 12 gauge, why do I need a pistol?"

That said I do pull an orange hat out when i walk out in case I see a squirrel or woodcock on the walk out, and don't unload it til I'm at the truck.
Wouldn't do you much good in your gear that needs be on your person you don't wanna be bleeding out looking at bag its in.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
If I see people at the ramp or when on any public lands I move my EDC to a handy easy to reach place. It's usually on my side even with waders on. Then switch to Condition Orange. When you carry you are always in Condition Yellow. Quite simple actually. Duck hunting is sure changing. Murdering over a blind, kids accidentally killing parents, now robberies.

Cripplecreek

Six Pointer
Even if you have a carry gun on you duck hunting, you probably have waders on too. I don't see a quick access to it. I do carry one a lot of times duck hunting, but I'd be hard pressed to get it quickly.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Even if you have a carry gun on you duck hunting, you probably have waders on too. I don't see a quick access to it. I do carry one a lot of times duck hunting, but I'd be hard pressed to get it quickly.
Now that is another reason I don't duck hunt😁