Duck Gheenoe 15'4" Refresh/Repairs

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
What's with the graphite??
I was going to use line-x but chose the epoxy mix, cheaper.Cant really see much of the black except the bow. I have a couple balck accessories. Touch ups wouldnt take much.
We hunt a small river, beaver ponds and off river holes too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Test run at Murrels Inlet this morning.
3747fece402ecf4ad6261cc24ec03f2b.jpg
0c1dcc0867557129dd772cbeafd4b7e9.jpg

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
The 2 coats of epoxy didn't fair to well on our fishing trip to Murrells Inlet, SC back in the end of July, The front trailer roller rubbed a spot off so, after this duck season is over, i will be installing a keel guard.
I finished camo'n the inside of the boat about 2 weeks ago, installed my wire conduit, nav lights, bilge pump and took it out for the 10/7 opener. I still have to install my seats, mount my Fire Ext, Get my jack plate made and painted up, and get a cover made for my motor. The silver Honda 5hp doesnt quite go with may camo scheme.
Inside Boat Camo 3.jpgInside Boat Camo 2.jpgInside Boat Camo 1.jpg

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
As far as your jack plate plans, I had good luck for years with a piece of plate steel bolted flat to the transom of my small jon boat. It held a 9.9 hp outboard up to the proper height with no problems.

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Looking for something adjustable. I'm just going to have the local metal shop build it for me. Probably Race City Steel in Denver.
0ba6e58b7f3c1d74a7e2d136fef5a583.jpg

Clark

Ten Pointer
How does the 5 hp handle it? I haave a 4 hp Mercury on a 13' and it won't quite get on plane loaded.

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
With my wife, me, (both over 200#,) fishing gear, small cooler, on Lake James 9Mph.
I believe that about the high end of the range for my motor based of Honda specs.

With just me, my 60# lab Wolf Creek lake, NC, fishing, only 6mph cause of porpoise'ing with no weight in front.
Mine is rated for 10Hp. After running it some,(bought in December 2018, bought motor May 2019) and getting comfortable with it. I think an 8 Or 9.9hp would do good.
Also my 5hp is a 4 stoke, would like to have found a 2 stroke to save in motor weight.

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Here is my custom made motor cover for the gheenoe. And here is the boat on out hunt today. I had our neighborhood seamstress make it.

be8d83ab4ce7c02ffed26aaba099dd3d.jpg
8f4003aee88955ceac0d887704e208db.jpg

Last edited:

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Update:
Here is my bench seat reinforced with a .062 aluminium plate. Out of final "Major Brown" camo paint for now. Front bench seat is done the same way.
My 5 swich plate.
Camo cover for my fire ext.

Rear bench seat 2.jpgRear bench seat.jpg5 switch panel.jpgFire ext cover.jpg

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
I like it. It looks like a good little platform to get you to a hunting spot or to float the river and jump shoot a few.
How well does it paddle for jump shooting?

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Paddles and tracks well just like canoe but way more stable. We usually motor to a low water spot then raise motor, paddle in. Set up on the bank. Haven't done much jump shooting.
Once last year. Motor up, going into a back water hole when we hear a boat hauling A up the river, it was the GW. He stopped, we paddled back out, did the normal checks, talked for about 10-15 min. We parted ways, went back in, shot at about 3 ducks only about 100 yards from our check.