Duck flight sound

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
Ok fellows, I am trying to ID waterfowl. I know very little about ducks , but would like to learn.
While paddling down the lake to my deer hunting stand this morning before good light I heard from behind me what I thought was a military jet off in the distance. The sound got closer but not much louder, then a pair of ducks went over me from behind extremely fast. I could only see they looked on the small side against the low light sky. Another pair flew by a few minutes later. I have never heard ducks sound like that. Any ideas what they might have been with the little information I have to give?
Inquiring mind wants to know. Lol

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
You'll hear that bout any of em depending on speed and how the wings are cupped but seems to be louder with ringneck and more consistent the whole time in flight

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
Thanks for the information guys.

I started out deer hunting this morning, it was mighty slow. So at noon I decided to scout another area for deer sign. While easing around on my big boat I jumped three drake wood ducks together at about 20 yards, man they were beautiful in the sun.

Well my deer scouting trip turned into duck scouting. ( like a chap with a new toy) Later I did jump one ring neck duck. I also saw two different groups of three small brown looking ducks, but I never could get close enough for a good look.
They kept their distance of 75-100 yards ahead at all times.

I believe I am going to need a good duck ID visual aid chart for the VA. area.
Do you guys have any suggestions, so I know what I am shooting at.
Like have said, I've never duck hunted , so any help is appreciated.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Ducks on the wing guide and the DU website are pretty helpful. Spend some time looking at the species you will encounter and youtube some videos of them. It is going to be challenging at first but you'll be able to pick on the the cues. It is also helpful to learn the preferred habitat of each species. for example in the swamp I frequent I would expect wood ducks, mallards, black ducks, mergansers, and gadwall. Sure other ducks can be there but those are on my short list of what I think I think I am looking at on the wing.
Honestly practice is one of your best tools. If you can verify that it is a duck and its not a Harlequin and its after November 20 there is not a duck you cannot at least have one of (for NC). So I might get some hate for this but if you ID that its a duck but cant call exactly what is it, take your one duck and ID it in hand. You will learn a lot more watching that duck fly and studying it in hand than the interwebs can teach you. Lastly if all else fails find a buddy who can ID for you.

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
Thanks for the advice wildlifer. I do appreciate it.
I don't personally know a soul that duck hunts. Information I can gather from generous folks like you, books, internet and of course learning on the fly will have to be my guide for now.

ducknut

Eight Pointer
Agreed with Wildlifer, practice is the only way to get good at it. Cables used to sell a laminated waterfowl I.D. guide. That would be worth what they charged, because it will get wet if you're hunting.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Honestly practice is one of your best tools. If you can verify that it is a duck and its not a Harlequin and its after November 20 there is not a duck you cannot at least have one of (for NC). So I might get some hate for this but if you ID that its a duck but cant call exactly what is it, take your one duck and ID it in hand.
I kind of agree with this but also feel this how grebes end up in pictures posted on the internet. Some “ducks” aren’t ducks.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Also learn the sounds that different ducks make. It will help with ID. Lot of times they will be talking in flight and the sounds will somewhat help with identification...it's not foolproof as mallards and black duck sounds are almost undistinguishable but it will help with other species. Divers don't seem to say much but puddlers most times do

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for the advice wildlifer. I do appreciate it.
I don't personally know a soul that duck hunts. Information I can gather from generous folks like you, books, internet and of course learning on the fly will have to be my guide for now.
PM me your address and I'll mail you a pocket field ID booklet. Not great, but much better than nothing.

Jim

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
After 4 years of serious duck hunting I've learned ring necks come in way before LST, wood ducks come in for 15 to 20 minutes after LST, gadwall and hooded merganser come in while you are busy talking about your wood duck shoot and mallards come in while you are picking up decoys. With this said I still love it.

TH80

Eight Pointer
Check out the DU app. It has a waterfowl id section that shows pics, gives a description, and has audio. I use the app for the journal so I can keep up with what I kill and where.