Duck Breasts with Beer Sauce

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Hopefully this is the last Hank Shaw recipe I'll fix until the hunting seasons open because I really want to try all this stuff with wild game. I stumbled across some frozen duck breasts while at the grocery store and decided to try them (I've always liked duck whenever I could get it in a restaurant back in the day). So I got 2 frozen duck breasts (can't remember which breed) and looked up a duck breast recipe on the Hunter Angler Gardener Cook website. I also picked up some bottles of the Highland Brewing Company's Dark Mocha Stout so I could try the recipe I chose with it and chill out with a beer in the evening: Duck Breasts with Beer Sauce: https://honest-food.net/duck-breast-beer-recipe/

I also followed the How to Cook Duck Breasts instructions when it came to that part of the recipe: https://honest-food.net/how-to-cook-duck-breasts/

I kept to the recipe fairly closely: I only substituted caraway seeds for the juniper berries since I didn't have any and I used apple cider vinegar instead of the beer vinegar or malt vinegar he calls for. I was going to use beaver stock, but it wouldn't defrost quick enough, so I used low-sodium beef stock from the store instead. I also marinated the duck breasts for a day and a half or so because I was too tired/busy to get around to them the other day. I used olive oil for the fat in the pan when cooking the duck breasts. Pretty much stuck to the recipe minus these changes.

If I could give this recipe 10 stars, I would! This was the best duck I've ever had in my life and the sauce is AMAZING. A little salty, a little sweet, a little tangy, just a whole mouthful of goodness! I actually forgot to add the berries (I was going to use cranberries) on top at the end, but it didn't matter. You don't even need them. I fixed some kind of heirloom rice grown in the area I'm from (the Tidewater area of Virginia) that I found at a country store in Raeford and some peas to go with it. The rice was plumper and thicker than regular store-bought rice, but I liked it a lot. The rice and peas went great with this recipe! I devoured the first duck breast in 10 minutes at lunch and then I had the second one for dinner and probably ate it in 15 minutes, it was that good!!!

Now I'm not a duck hunter, so if anybody wants to shoot some ducks during duck season and have a fine meal afterwards, hit me up! :D I will do all the cooking just for a share of this!

Attachments

• 20210803_121315_HDR.jpg
    20210803_121315_HDR.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited: