Duck boat upgrades

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
I have done so many boats like that I have lost count. Started from bare bones and rigged to my liking or torn to bare bones and rigged out. You have to enjoy it or there is no way to do it because it adds up to an absolute crap ton of work.

Nice job, hope you and the dog get years of enjoyment out of it.
Thanks! We will do our best. Planning to repower it next year. But Katy already approves of boat rides.

Attachments

• IMG_6283.jpeg
    IMG_6283.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6284.jpeg
    IMG_6284.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 17

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks! We will do our best. Planning to repower it next year. But Katy already approves of boat rides.
Boats mostly are a loosing financial proposition, but when you use one fairly regularly they can repay for the blood, sweat, tears and $ in some awfully fun times for you and in this case your hairy companion. I had many years enjoyment with several, but they never set for longer than 4-5 days at a time. And those times when used like that they were almost trouble free.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Finally unboxed the Beavertail 1600 and assembled it. Need some slight adjustments and get it brushed in, but this should be a good blind for this little boat. Feeling the pressure of the season looming and had to ramp up the work to get it ready - we close now!!IMG_6360.jpegIMG_6388.jpegIMG_6390.jpeg

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Went out yesterday and hit a few different places we’ve been meaning to scout. First time out with the blind attached and it trailered and ran surprisingly well with then blind on it and stowed. The old ‘89 motor ran like a champ too. Katy is all about the boat rides these days!

2F15B028-A3EA-4AC0-A7CA-DA9F5042B42B.jpeg

TH80

Eight Pointer
You put a lot of work in that boat and it turned out good. Katy looks ready to go. Hope you found some birds on the scouting trip

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
You put a lot of work in that boat and it turned out good. Katy looks ready to go. Hope you found some birds on the scouting trip
Thanks! I just realized I haven't posted a picture since I got the blind brushed in. I did some more after this one was taken, but ya get the idea. Gaps are filled in now and it's covered across the top to hide the openings. Ended up using Raffia from a craft store and a few rattle cans - along with some other "branded" stuff to finish it off.
boat blind.jpg

TH80

Eight Pointer
We did see a few and found evidence that birds were in the area - we also picked up what others left behind as per usual
At least you found some. I hope this is a good year. Last year was my worst season but yesterday and what I was seeing the last few times I fished gives me hope for this year

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Finally got the boat out for the first hunt. Delayed this year due to a variety of reasons, but here it is. Have one more hunt Wednesday morning we will use it for. Was pretty comfortable hunting out of it and it performed well. I’m happy with the way it turned out after all the work put into it. Still have a few things to do, but that’s for warmer weather.
IMG_8409.jpegIMG_8419.jpeg

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As long as you are using it there will always be a 'few things to do' to it. Never figured out if that was good or bad, but it sure made off season go by faster. Again, nice rig.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
My goal this year was to hit two new spots using my duck boat (which I did, just not as much as I’d like to) and to use that boat to kill ducks. Mission accomplished on the latter on the last day of the season today. We knocked a few down, had more that we should’ve shot (had we not been taking a coffee break) and finally had a proper duck hunt with decent numbers of birds. Mallards, woodies, and Canadas. A great morning on the water and a great way to close out the season!

Already looking forward to October…

IMG_8479.jpegIMG_8467.jpegIMG_8462.jpeg

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In all my years of duck hunting, and there were a bunch of them, usually floating but at times I would be in a boat setup. I don't care how good or bad the day was going I could usually count on a passerby or a jump by breaking out something to eat or at that time I was a coffee drinker, pouring a cup. And of course that entailed spilling it. :ROFLMAO:

Glad you and your hairy friend got to enjoy the boat, hope both bring you many more years of happiness.