Drone over my home

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
The only encounter with a drone I've had was striper fishing. A drone followed us a long ways. Figured it was some kid that got one for a Christmas present and didn't pay it much attention. The wife and I happened to catch a striper, measured and tossed it in the cooler.

I bet it was only a minute or so and here came the game wardens boat to check us out. ( never saw them until we caught the fish)
After everything checked out ok and they left, I told the wife they had been watching us with that drone the whole time.
That's what I think anyway.....🕵🐟

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I guarantee game wardens are using them, it would be perfect to observe.
A friend recently received a ticket for not wearing orange shortly after seeing a drone in the field he was hunting. Warden claimed he observed him remove his hat when he sat down in tree by glassing from a substation on adjacent property. Didn't matter how because he confessed to removing hat when questioned.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
You are going to jail for a long time if you shoot one down and get caught. My drone can go about 2.5 miles.
Any idea how common is it for operators to be penalized for flying out of line of sight or unregistered? I’d imagine almost non existent, especially in rural areas, without additional crimes or incidents.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How about "inadvertently" spraying them with a water hose?

Here is my "beef" with drones and air space rights. On the Meateater podcast, they were talking about "corner hopping" on BLM land out west. Much of the BLM land out west is set up like a checker board. Red squares are private land, black squares are public land. Some hunters, in order to not trespass, but move from one block of public land to another block, navigate to the "corner" of a black square and hop to the opposing corner of another black square. Many of those states are saying that's illegal, because your shoulders invade some of the private lands air space, which constitutes trespassing.

Well, if it's "trespassing" for my shoulders to pass through private land air space, then it's trespassing for someone to operate a drone in the air space of my property!

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes more laws will stop it like drug and gun laws did and yeah shoot bullets into the air.
That’s fine. If you don’t like more laws, then just remove the ones penalizing those shooting the peepers’ drones. We don’t need LE wasting their time enforcing it. Just take the restrictions off of private landowners protecting their right to privacy.

As for shooting up, small game hunters do it all the time with a variety of weapons. That’s irrelevant.

I have no problem with someone flying over private property as long as there is an appropriate minimum altitude, as with other aircraft. If it’s close enough for me to shoot and hit it, it’s not at an appropriate altitude.

Last edited:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I understand and agree with your statements, just have to point this one thing out:

"as with other aircraft. If it’s close enough for me to shoot and hit it,"

I may have to lead the a lot, but I regularly get fighter jets over my house and yard just above treetop level. I'm gonna give them a pass. Back where I am, the same won't happen with a drone.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I understand and agree with your statements, just have to point this one thing out:

"as with other aircraft. If it’s close enough for me to shoot and hit it,"

I may have to lead the a lot, but I regularly get fighter jets over my house and yard just above treetop level. I'm gonna give them a pass. Back where I am, the same won't happen with a drone.

When pope was a thing I used to regularly get a10' that would come in so close I swear they were below tree top down the fairway

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
How about "inadvertently" spraying them with a water hose?

Here is my "beef" with drones and air space rights. On the Meateater podcast, they were talking about "corner hopping" on BLM land out west. Much of the BLM land out west is set up like a checker board. Red squares are private land, black squares are public land. Some hunters, in order to not trespass, but move from one block of public land to another block, navigate to the "corner" of a black square and hop to the opposing corner of another black square. Many of those states are saying that's illegal, because your shoulders invade some of the private lands air space, which constitutes trespassing.

Well, if it's "trespassing" for my shoulders to pass through private land air space, then it's trespassing for someone to operate a drone in the air space of my property!
That sounds like a total bunch of whiny arse holes worried someone is hunting public land.

<>< Fish

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Yep. Been here 13 years, and I just now got caught. Been a troll all along.
Yes they are very different things. And this isn’t directed towards you or RB or anyone specific. But you can’t just shoot stuff that’s not yours and you don’t like it. There has to be more than “like” at stake.
I agree, if someone was hovering a drone over me at my house, it would be weird AF and make me wonder who’s watching. Not saying the thought to knock it out of the air wouldn’t cross my mind, but….you can’t, or shouldn’t.
No, you should, but can't. 👍

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
And could u use bait to lure 1 in? Is baiting drones allowed.
Kinda like duck hunting, spread of decoys and shooting or ah observation blind

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
There are plenty of articles online about anti drone remedies from killer drones to net guns to birds of prey. But to use a firearm is frowned upon, a felony or federal crime. Seems more like an anti gun stance towards drones than anything else

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I don’t live in the country at the moment…..but if I did and was being observed closely by a drone I wouldn’t think twice about blowing it out of the sky. I saw a guy shoot at one with a handgun on randleman lake one time that kept circling his boat lol

A friend of mine operates drones for work and knows the laws pretty well for the states he operates in. He was saying that for a boat or any other vehicle in motion, if a drone is following or circling, they can be charged federally for distracting or attempting to disrupt a vehicle in motion and can be charged with jail time. The rules change so fast, who really knows.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Let one show up over the wife and granddaughter laying out ,see how long it last.
See, I was just thinking that upon seeing the drone it would be a good time for me to work on my suntan, get rid of those pesky tanlines.

It's an interesting question, for sure. The laws as they currently are seem fine for (and aimed towards) model airplanes or helicopters, the quadricopters are a different beast.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
See, I was just thinking that upon seeing the drone it would be a good time for me to work on my suntan, get rid of those pesky tanlines.

It's an interesting question, for sure. The laws as they currently are seem fine for (and aimed towards) model airplanes or helicopters, the quadricopters are a different beast.
I told the fellow that bought the land in front of me that I walked around the yard every day naked. He built on the other end of it and left the trees between us. Then he sold it to me. See it works.

DrSpeed

Eight Pointer
Sounds like Falconry is going to come back into popularity with rules like that.

But seriously, I was reading that article, and it states that you have use of the airspace that property owner can reasonably and legally use. So if you have your own drone, is that everything under 400 ft? Is the other drone trespassing simply because you can reasonably use your own airspace now? Get a drone above the registration limit (55lbs unless it's changed) and accidently weed whack the other out of the air.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
A kamikaze drone would be a fun concept. Drone Jousting.

Or just show it your gentleman sausage. It probably won't want another look.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
A friend of mine operates drones for work and knows the laws pretty well for the states he operates in. He was saying that for a boat or any other vehicle in motion, if a drone is following or circling, they can be charged federally for distracting or attempting to disrupt a vehicle in motion and can be charged with jail time. The rules change so fast, who really knows.

That’s an interesting law. I’m sure there’s a huge grey area in there. Still, the last thing on my mind would be the law if a drone was harassing me on my property or my family. I like the idea of catching it though and making someone come get it. That sounds fun.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
You that have drones and can fly anywhere you want, go ahead and fly around a Federal building and if they say anything tell them the law on your side,
and if they don't like it that's just to bad.
If you read the article, the law might not be on your side near a federal building. There were a handful of carve outs to it.

What I think is interesting is that I can do whatever I want within the parameters without a license, but if I take money to do it I need a license.