Driving on the Beach

witler

Eight Pointer
It has been years and different vehicles ago since I have driven on the sand. I now have a Chevy 2500 HD Duramax that hasn't been on the beach yet.
My question is what gear and 4wd should I be using? Keep it in Drive or ? and 4wd hi or low, should traction control be engaged or off?

Years ago I had a '75 Bronco that loved the beach, sure do miss it.
Thank you to all suggestions.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Of course deflate some air out of your tires first. Then drive or 2nd and 4 wheel high.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Those load range E tires need to drop a lot of pressure to make them work.
I ran my factory tires on my ram at 18psi.
Got some 295 70 18 tires to try this year. Better tread width so I plan to run them around 22 to 24 psi.

Just carry some boards and a long handle shovel with tow strap just in case.
If it is a long wheel base the turning can be hard pick the area and plan ahead.
Mine just wants to push the front tires so you need to go slow to keep them on top turning.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've spent 5 weeks in the last 12 months at OBX and arm seeing more HD trucks stuck then ever before. That is probably because there are more of them now, but also I suspect because those HD tires just do not flex as much when aired down. The Superintendent of the NPS recently made a public plea for all beach drivers to air down to prevent beach damage from stuck vehicles, which has been especially bad this year. They are also encouraging people not to put AWD vehicles on the beach, although they will sell a permit to anybody.

When I came out of Ramp 4 a couple weeks ago there was a huge red Ford pickup buried, never made it 30 yards from the hard surface. There was already plenty of help so we rode by, but the next person to hit the resulting hole and ruts was in for a real surprise and beating.

As to gear, my many vehicles over the years have all like different things. The 350 c.i. Tahoe loved Low Range and D and I pulled out many stuck vehicles with that. My current midsize truck likes momentum better, and I use only High Range and D. You will need to try different things and see how the truck responds. Good luck!!

JohnBoat

Banned
High range and D should handle most situations. If in especially soft sand like an on/off ramp to the beach you might want to gear down. Most important thing is to air down and try to stay in tracks that are already there whenever you can. Keep momentum going in soft spots and don't gas it if you start to spin tires. That will just make it worse.