Drift Hunting in the Piedmont

0991mbr

Button Buck
I'm based out of Greensboro. A buddy of mine has been trying to convince me to go drift hunting for quite sometime now. I'm ready to give it a try. Ant descent spots within 1.5-2hrs from the Greensboro area? I'm familiar with the Yadkin. Not sure about the rivers in Rockingham County. The Haw might be another option as well (south of Burlington on the way to Pittsboro).

Was going to give a game warden a call before I start putting some plans together. I haven't drift hunted before, so I figured it would be a good idea.

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
I have drift hunted out of my kayak before and had pretty good success. Wherever you decide to go I would do a float before hand to get a lay of the land and low water areas. Also helps to look at the flow data from the national weather service to see how much flow and depth fluctuation you may encounter.

0991mbr

Button Buck
I have drift hunted out of my kayak before and had pretty good success. Wherever you decide to go I would do a float before hand to get a lay of the land and low water areas. Also helps to look at the flow data from the national weather service to see how much flow and depth fluctuation you may encounter.
Yea. I've seen the Yadkin and Haw (in Chatham County) at flood stage several times. Definitely going to be taking that into consideration. I have a little time to plan, so thanks for the advice. Haven't really been much of a duck hunter my whole life, but my buddy has a good bit of experience drift/float hunting. We went out for the dove opener this past weekend, and he told me later that he has the "itch" again. I've got a feeling we might be doing some duck hunting this year, so I might need to prepare myself as best as possible. I have everything I need except for the duck hunting experience.

todobien

Eight Pointer
Here is a link to the online stream gages. My suggestion is take some visits to the areas you are thinking about and note the river stage and discharge. Go after some various rains and note again how they look. That will help you determine what is good and what is too high