Drift/float hunting rivers/creeks?

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
5ef8ba4424b21f7287e2cafaf730ed02.jpg
3c8125eacb55f9deb4c5925cd5c9fb91.jpg

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
C8F2880D-ADF7-4DA2-BC04-9C4CACB427F2.jpeg
Don’t have one of the whole thing but it’s a sit in kayak that I painted. I have small bungees running down the side I can put foliage in.

Larry Eckart

Four Pointer
Who does? Let’s see your setup....

I use an Old Town 119. Used to use a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 but prefer the ability to haul a bigger load that a canoe gives. I also have a Mad River Duck Hunter canoe for larger streams/lakes. In the past I owned a Hoefgen Duck Boat (first pic). It is a cross between a canoe and kayak. For some reason, that boat allowed me to sneak on ducks closer than anything I ever owned. I could float into mallards and sneak into redheads on big water. I sold it when I moved from Michigan. The Old Town 119 is in the second pic.
Larry

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
My rocky point pirogue has been great. I use it as a sled, open water decoy boat, sneak boat. It’s not great at any one task but as a multi purpose boat it’s hard to beat.

Trappertod

Six Pointer
I guess you are pretty much good to go on floating rivers and creeks, it is considered public water right?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My buddies just got back, turns out my prickly little buddies are still out in force. They said no more, this last trip broke them. They threw in the towel. They aren't going back either.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Nothing fancy, cost $204 at Academy. I like it a lot, but after taking it out a few times I’m a little leery about trying to shoot a 12ga from it. Not so much a safety standpoint, but an accuracy and “I don’t want to lose my paddle in the creek” standpoint

Attachments

• 37F710F5-B7CF-4A02-AEB3-EF3C5C7EF89D.jpeg
    37F710F5-B7CF-4A02-AEB3-EF3C5C7EF89D.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 28

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I officially have a new "boat lust",,,,and guess who's driving through Menominee Michigan in a week????
My Grandfather had a cabin about a mile south of him on Green bay. I remember visiting the shop back when they had an active and open shop. I THINK the shop is closed but Paul Hoefgen still makes/repairs/restores them on a limited basis. I gotta figure out which of my uncles got the Hoefgen Canoe.

I still drive by the shop for or five times a summer, since my parents bought a place down the beach from my Grandpa's old place.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
My buddies just got back, turns out my prickly little buddies are still out in force. They said no more, this last trip broke them. They threw in the towel. They aren't going back either.

yeap,,,some concern on that,,,,may regret it,,,which reminds me,,,call vet

Over the summer we saw them at our cabin which we've never seen in the 30 years I've been going up there. Martins, Bears, Fishers and Martens, Eagles, but never Porkies, though they are ubiquitous.

Bring a hemostat, if you see a dead one scoop it for trash breaking. If your near Menominee my parents know one of the vets in town, he has bird dogs, I could look it up.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Over the summer we saw them at our cabin which we've never seen in the 30 years I've been going up there. Martins, Bears, Fishers and Martens, Eagles, but never Porkies, though they are ubiquitous.

Bring a hemostat, if you see a dead one scoop it for trash breaking. If your near Menominee my parents know one of the vets in town, he has bird dogs, I could look it up.
I had sedatives for mine so I pulled my own quills. I learned real quick that you would go broke paying to have them removed. I finally just got to the point that we were spending to much time pulling quills and not enough hunting so I decided not to go back.

I really got lucky, I never had a dog that got them exceptionally bad. But I sure saw some bad ones and did the pulling on some. The first year I was there I saw some dogs being pulled by some guys and you have never lived to you see a dog pass out from pain, they were pulling quills with no sedatives. That was a sight that will stick with me as long as I live.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had sedatives for mine so I pulled my own quills. I learned real quick that you would go broke paying to have them removed. I finally just got to the point that we were spending to much time pulling quills and not enough hunting so I decided not to go back.

I really got lucky, I never had a dog that got them exceptionally bad. But I sure saw some bad ones and did the pulling on some. The first year I was there I saw some dogs being pulled by some guys and you have never lived to you see a dog pass out from pain, they were pulling quills with no sedatives. That was a sight that will stick with me as long as I live.

I guess it depends on how bad they get it? Mine got into one 2 years ago, and I pulled them immediately. 30-40 quills in gums/jowels, and a few in his palate, but none really deep. My buddy I was hunting with is a vet, and that was his recommendation. Go ahead and pull them if you can. He said most dogs just want them out ASAP. I happened to be by myself this particular afternoon. He seemed fine afterwards, and proceeded to go right back to hunting, to my surprise.

I really don't want to see a "bad one".

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Appreciate all the replies - this is what I ended up with. We’ve killed some ducks with it - sneak right up on them. Lots of fun in this thing

Attachments

• 1A3EB61C-5820-488A-9784-6208CB48B2F1.jpeg
    1A3EB61C-5820-488A-9784-6208CB48B2F1.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 62
  • 9A594DC8-47E2-43AA-BA46-FF4269349241.jpeg
    9A594DC8-47E2-43AA-BA46-FF4269349241.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 63

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Damn I thought you had ears of corn strapped on there till I blew the pic up.
Is that camo burlap cut in 2-3" strips?
Looks really good.
It is camo burlap from Walmart cut into strips. I used zip ties to attach it to plastic fence from Lowe's. The fence was cut and zip tied to shape so it hugged the bow and stern of the boat. Small bungie straps hold it tight to the bow. 3/4 oz egg weights ate attached along the sides to keep it laying down instead of curling up.

I roll it up and it rides on back of boat until i get to my spot then I unroll it and lay a little local vegetation on it for additional concealment.

Gus

Six Pointer
It is camo burlap from Walmart cut into strips. I used zip ties to attach it to plastic fence from Lowe's. The fence was cut and zip tied to shape so it hugged the bow and stern of the boat. Small bungie straps hold it tight to the bow. 3/4 oz egg weights ate attached along the sides to keep it laying down instead of curling up.

I roll it up and it rides on back of boat until i get to my spot then I unroll it and lay a little local vegetation on it for additional concealment.

Nice work. Looks like it would work in marsh, swamp, buckbrush or green creek.
Hard to find something that versatile.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Nice work. Looks like it would work in marsh, swamp, buckbrush or green creek.
Hard to find something that versatile.
This was another fun hunt out of these little rigs. M98 outfitter with a cap for layout in the sound. Have to have calm days but was a good hunt. We set up two longlines with two creekboats between them.

Screenshot_20191201-124600_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20191201-125501_Photos.jpg