drawn for Buckhorn Gameland

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
I'm drawn for Buckhorn Gameland, in Orange County, for an early season bow hunt. It looks like a big wooded tract from google earth. If anyone has some tips for hunting this place, please let me know.

MAM3006

Six Pointer
I have thought about applying for Buckhorn in the past but haven't. Never hunted there but know that it is owned by OWASA. It is a mitigation tract that they bought when they built Cane Creek Reservoir. Before it was established as a GL, there was a big to-do with the Army Corp of Engineers, the WRC & OWASA regarding allowing hunting on the tract. My understanding is that OWASA didn't want to allow hunting on it at all but was required to because of their agreement with the Army Engineers to build Cane Creek. Anyway, OWASA finally relented but it had to be set up for archery only and only by permit.

As for the hunting, it would seem like it should be good as it is in a good area. In looking at the game land harvest stats though the results are not impressive. Looks like only 3 bucks were harvested there last year. I think it is about 500 acres so I suspect that is low, even for game lands and especially for one that is permit only. Not sure if that is because of the land quality, the archery only status, the permit requirement or what.

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
I have thought about applying for Buckhorn in the past but haven't. Never hunted there but know that it is owned by OWASA. It is a mitigation tract that they bought when they built Cane Creek Reservoir. Before it was established as a GL, there was a big to-do with the Army Corp of Engineers, the WRC & OWASA regarding allowing hunting on the tract. My understanding is that OWASA didn't want to allow hunting on it at all but was required to because of their agreement with the Army Engineers to build Cane Creek. Anyway, OWASA finally relented but it had to be set up for archery only and only by permit.

As for the hunting, it would seem like it should be good as it is in a good area. In looking at the game land harvest stats though the results are not impressive. Looks like only 3 bucks were harvested there last year. I think it is about 500 acres so I suspect that is low, even for game lands and especially for one that is permit only. Not sure if that is because of the land quality, the archery only status, the permit requirement or what.
thanks