Draw weight advice

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer
I shoot a 33” Elite Ritual at 70 lb 30” draw.
A month ago I blew out a disc in my neck and had surgery last week. Obviously I’m not shooting anytime soon but when I’m able in a few months I’ll probably need to use lighter draw weight. Unfortunately my right shoulder is still quite weak from the nerve damage. What are my options in keeping the bow I have? How far can draw weight be backed down? Do I need to possibly get different limbs? Push comes to shove worst scenario I have an Excalibur crossbow but just last year I really got into compound shooting and hunting and would like to (eventually) get back to hunting with it.

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
My suggestion would be to get a lower poundage set of limbs and work back up that way. Cheaper than buying a new bow, especially if you like the current bow.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I’m a firm believer in having a backup bow ( or 2, or 3, or 4 for that matter); perhaps a lighter draw weight bow, something used, would help you transition back to higher poundage. Just another option.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you have 70lb limbs, I would suspect you can get 10 lbs or possible more out of them. Might get it down to 57-58 lbs or so.

a different set of limbs for the 50-60 lb range would help more.

Luckily for you....you have some help on your draw length. 30” draw at 60lbs or even less is still a lot of stored energy. You will have an easier time than some of the shorter draw folks.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Have an E35 I’ll sell ya. 31 inch draw and 65 lb limbs will get down to 55 lbs or less. Good smooth draw cycle too.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Don't know what surgery you had but I had two disc replacement surgery about three years ago. Doc told me I would have no limitations on what I could do after a few weeks and he was right. I can do anything I ever did before and without pain. You may be surprised at how successful neck surgery is, lower back is a whole different thing

Guybo

Eight Pointer
I use to shoot heavy poundage bows and as the years went by i slowly started dropping the poundage because of my aging shoulders and elbows plus a back surgery. I went from 80 down to 70 down to 60 and now i shoot a 50lb Allegiance and i wouldn't go back up in weight even if i could. I have no issues what so ever with pass thru's on deer and the 50lb is a pleasure to shoot and easy on the body. If i were to get to a point where i couldn't shoot a compound i'd use a cross bow.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Besides turning down the weight on your compound bow, would you consider training with a light draw weight recurve?

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Everyone’s situation is a little different, but you could probably find a little bit older PSE Nova, or some of the other lower end bows with 40# draw weights for super cheap with a little searching, and I’m positive they kill deer just fine. That would be my method if I couldn’t draw back my main bow, but my 70# Bowtech will go all the way down to around 55 I believe

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer
Don't know what surgery you had but I had two disc replacement surgery about three years ago. Doc told me I would have no limitations on what I could do after a few weeks and he was right. I can do anything I ever did before and without pain. You may be surprised at how successful neck surgery is, lower back is a whole different thing
Disc replacement and I won’t have any restrictions. It’s just the insane weakness in my posterior deltoid and rotator cuff on my draw arm that are very weak and losing visible muscle mass. The weakness precipitated the surgery in hopes to restore it. Maybe it’s permanent? Maybe it will take a long time? Not sure

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer
Besides turning down the weight on your compound bow, would you consider training with a light draw weight recurve?
I hadn’t thought of that but that’s a smart idea. And actually my daughter has an adjustable bear that I could train with.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Disc replacement and I won’t have any restrictions. It’s just the insane weakness in my posterior deltoid and rotator cuff on my draw arm that are very weak and losing visible muscle mass. The weakness precipitated the surgery in hopes to restore it. Maybe it’s permanent? Maybe it will take a long time? Not sure
Hopefully your nerves to that shoulder will recover and you can build the muscles back up. I had pinched nerves from across the back of my shoulders, pain into my chest and triceps and forearms. If I laid on my back 30 minutes my pinky,ring fingers would go from burning to completely numb. I had pain in my shoulders and arms still after surgery that I thought was due to my disc but come to find out it was also problems separate from the nerves and actually things wrong in the shoulder joints themselves. It has been described to me as all the muscles in my shoulders have become unequal in strength and allows my joint to move up into spurs inside the joint. But as far as strength overall the muscles have fully recovered from the nerve pain just need to target strengthening the ones that got weaker due to inactivity. If you purposely do exercise to target those muscles you could get back close to the strength you had before and not have that problem that I do. Wouldn't hurt to have the crossbow for backup on the days you cant push yourself, that's what I do to not miss a good time to be in the stand. Good luck

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer
Hopefully your nerves to that shoulder will recover and you can build the muscles back up. I had pinched nerves from across the back of my shoulders, pain into my chest and triceps and forearms. If I laid on my back 30 minutes my pinky,ring fingers would go from burning to completely numb. I had pain in my shoulders and arms still after surgery that I thought was due to my disc but come to find out it was also problems separate from the nerves and actually things wrong in the shoulder joints themselves. It has been described to me as all the muscles in my shoulders have become unequal in strength and allows my joint to move up into spurs inside the joint. But as far as strength overall the muscles have fully recovered from the nerve pain just need to target strengthening the ones that got weaker due to inactivity. If you purposely do exercise to target those muscles you could get back close to the strength you had before and not have that problem that I do. Wouldn't hurt to have the crossbow for backup on the days you cant push yourself, that's what I do to not miss a good time to be in the stand. Good luck
I appreciate you’r thoughtful response. I’m actually a PT, which is hopefully a situation where knowledge is causing excessive concern. Not used to being on this side of the situation…