Dove Recipes?

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Equal parts teriyaki and olive oil with however much garlic you can stand. I like garlic. :giggle:

And the Italian vinegar dressing crowd got upset when I asked if it would work on cow? Bunch of hypocrites. :ROFLMAO:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Here is my dove marinade:
  • 3/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup red or white wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
Here is my Italian dressing recipe:
  • 3/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup red or white wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp lemon juice

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Hush yo mouth...I don't bust on your semi-acceptable BBQ....you can leave my dressing marinade alone too. ;) ;)

Geez...with all your whingin I thought I was talking to your brother... *ducks*
Italian dressing, TDM, electric ‘smokers’, cardigans, sous vide, pellet grills, hand lotion....all tools in the murse of the modern metrosexual man...

I ain’t whining, I ain’t got to eat it :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Equal parts teriyaki and olive oil with however much garlic you can stand. I like garlic. :giggle:

And the Italian vinegar dressing crowd got upset when I asked if it would work on cow? Bunch of hypocrites. :ROFLMAO:

I didn't. You absolutely can use it on cow. Some folks slather steak sauce all over the outside of it. What's in that steak sauce? Here are a few notable ingredients: vinegar, sugar, salt, garlic, onion....... ;)

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
The first time I tried both dove and woodcock, I just did it with butter in a cast iron skillet. Not because I didn’t have other recipes...but because it was a good way to taste the flavor profile of the meat itself before expanding on recipes. If a recipe I use on wild game ends up causing me to not taste the wild game anymore/makes it taste like anything I can get at the store, I’ll change the recipe. Just my preference

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
@KrisB , any recipe you use won’t be complete without this secret ( but very important ingredient)

ME as a taste tester. Have fork will travel.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
The first time I tried both dove and woodcock, I just did it with butter in a cast iron skillet. Not because I didn’t have other recipes...but because it was a good way to taste the flavor profile of the meat itself before expanding on recipes. If a recipe I use on wild game ends up causing me to not taste the wild game anymore/makes it taste like anything I can get at the store, I’ll change the recipe. Just my preference

That is a good point. If I'm lucky enough to even shoot one dove, I should fix it like that or how Woodmoose suggested. If I'm lucky enough to get more than one dove, then I could experiment a little with these other recipes, see what I like.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
That is a good point. If I'm lucky enough to even shoot one dove, I should fix it like that or how Woodmoose suggested. If I'm lucky enough to get more than one dove, then I could experiment a little with these other recipes, see what I like.
You may not be super lucky...but have some confidence that you’ll make up for that with skill 😉. Don’t make yourself anxious anticipating the shot, be comfortable, and most importantly...have fun. It’s not uncommon to not harvest an animal the first time you hunt it!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
ut because it was a good way to taste the flavor profile of the meat itself before expanding on recipes.

how I eat the first meal of any animal,,,I want to KNOW the essence of the critter,,,then I expand on that in future recipes (or not if it was good as is),,,

some critters, like dove,,,need little extra as the subtle taste is excellent,,,,

other meat,,,like store bought yard bird (chicken) need all the help they can get since they are so bland!@!@

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Tacos.

Hand chop dove. I have used dove, swan and duck. If I recall this was swan, done the same way.
Hand chop the bacon and bird.
Start the bacon then add the bird. You want to bacon most the way cooked.
As the dove starts turning color then add the mix of homemade or other taco season.
Always good to add some chopped green or red peppers or chillies at this time.

20190620_174250.jpg20190620_180322.jpg20190620_180307.jpg

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer

Double your lead they are quick birds. You will miss behind them way more than you will miss in front of them.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
how I eat the first meal of any animal,,,I want to KNOW the essence of the critter,,,then I expand on that in future recipes (or not if it was good as is),,,

some critters, like dove,,,need little extra as the subtle taste is excellent,,,,

other meat,,,like store bought yard bird (chicken) need all the help they can get since they are so bland!@!@
Yessir it sounds like we agree on that philosophy. The wife and I agreed to do a beaver roast with some kinda mushroom broth(which smelled great) one time. I got zero of the sweet flavor from the meat. Literally tasted like a beaver roast shaped chunk of dirt. And not in a good mushroom “dirt” kinda way.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Don’t get me wrong - i love bacon, as bacon,,,and sometimes adding it to a recipe works

just makes me shake my head when folks use it on everything

but guess thats the only way some folks can stomach “wild meat”,,,

:cool::D:eek:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I see adding bacon as a way to add fat to a very lean piece of meat. I wouldn't wrap a beef roast in bacon.

First time for me also. Im going to try whole fried dove. looked pretty good and easy in the video.

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
Fried dove is one of my favorite recipes. So easy...... out go doves and in go the hush puppies/ onion rings

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Checked this out again, courtesy of a library in Arkansas. Pheasant, Quail, Cottontail: Upland Birds and Small Game from Field to Feast by Hank Shaw. Some of his recipes are fancy and some are simple, but so far they have always come out delicious! Hope to try one with dove this season, but if it doesn't pan out, he's got squirrel recipes, too! :D

Attachments

• IMG_20200911_205529507.jpg
    IMG_20200911_205529507.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Me personally, frying doves or ducks or any dark meat game is just not the best way to do it. Very easy to over cook it.
No marinade needed whatsoever if you’re wrapping in bacon and going the popper route. Marinade on ducks or doves is like a thick batter on fish. You don’t like the meat, you like the batter. No matter what you do, do not over cook it. If it’s past Med rare, throw it in the trash.

I could’ve saved you the trouble of a book on the quail and cottontails. Fried is the only acceptable way to cook rabbit or quail. God gets angry if you try to cook it any other way.

Italian dressing??? The absolute best grilled chicken on the planet. Hate all you want but that’s good stuff and I don’t need to answer to no man for it!!!!!!?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A lot of discussion here, but Hevi 13 got it right with the first response. Jalapeno, cream cheese, bacon. It's like they were made for it.

strut buster

Eight Pointer
I've had dove about every way mentioned in this thread. In a distant 2nd place is the jalapeno popper cream cheese thing I started eating as a kid in the 1980s. But well out in front in first is a straight up 24 hour marinade in Goya Mojo Crillo, wrap in bacon, and grill. Something about that particular marinade and dove, they were made for each other. You get the grill, you get the bacon, but the actual taste of dove is still coming through loud and clear.

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
5416b2c0fb5dc1cd5baf186e847277ad.jpg

Marinated in Italian for 8 hours and bacon wrapped. Grilled medium. Can’t get any better than this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk