Dove Recipes?

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Can y'all recommend some good dove recipes? I'll be hunting dove for the first time this season. Still working on the shotgun shooting skills, but I'm hopeful!

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
It's just swapping meat. If you can cook a mean chicken dish, your wild bird dish will be better.

If you can't cook... well no amount of help will help 😂

My wife is an excellent cook and it's improved tremendously through this quarantine. She makes this spicy shrimp taco that is homemade tortilla, cabbage with a honey base and a spicy sour cream. I'll have to ask her later. I know dove bits would be wonderful in it.

Last edited:

tk26

Six Pointer
Save the bacon for breakfast! Dove is some of the best eating out there. Season with your favorite steak rub and cook in a hot skillet to about medium temp. My kids love it. Its like little steak bites. I've also pounded them flat and breaded them and fried them like chicken fried steak. Make a gravy and enjoy.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
May be a typo or something but you put Italian dressing on a salad, never on any kind of meat. :ROFLMAO:

Now if I gave you a meat marinade recipe with an ingredient list that contained oil, vinegar, lemon juice, basil, parsley, onion and garlic, would you think it may be good or you reject it? Now if I mix those ingredients in a bottle, would you use it as a meat marinade?

Last edited:

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
1) Soak the breasts in salt water to draw any blood out of the meat from the shot.
2) Soak the breasts in italian dressing.
3) Wrap breasts in a half strip of bacon each. Secure with toothpick
4) Grill until bacon is cooked.
Does that not end up being overly salty (salt water, salty italian dressing, salt on bacon?

Just wondering.

Typically I'm not a fan of italian dressing for wild game...It's like training wheels for a bike. But for Doves I think an italian dressing marinade followed by a quick grill is the best thing going.

Dove Jalapeno Poppers are delicious, but I think that it's kind of like taking a Del Monaco steak and serving it with mayo and ketchup and cheese on a burger bun.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I don't use bacon,,,
I don't marinade with "Italian Dressing",,

I like to pluck the whole bird,,,season (I like Cracker Boy) and grill,,,

yes you can get the same/similar in an oven...

the various recipes with bacon, cream cheese, etc are all good eats,,,but you then lose the subtle taste of DOVE!!

good luck on your hunt

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I also requested Pheasant, Quail, Cottontail by Hank Shaw again through interlibrary loan. He has some really good recipes. I'll pay closer attention to the dove recipes in it this time.

It's nice when the library career can be used to help out the hunting pursuit. :D

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Does that not end up being overly salty (salt water, salty italian dressing, salt on bacon?

Just wondering.

Typically I'm not a fan of italian dressing for wild game...It's like training wheels for a bike. But for Doves I think an italian dressing marinade followed by a quick grill is the best thing going.

Dove Jalapeno Poppers are delicious, but I think that it's kind of like taking a Del Monaco steak and serving it with mayo and ketchup and cheese on a burger bun.

Thats a good question about the salt...I haven't noticed it too much. The main flavors I get are the sour/sweet vinegar and garlic from the dressing and smoke from the bacon. Thing is, if you really cook the bacon crispy, the breast is dry and tough. So some folks will peel the bacon off and eat it after either adding it to another dish like a pizza or cooking it more.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Blasphemy! We were discussing bird marinades.
Well, how else you gonna get that nasty cow taste out of it? :LOL:

I use a simple marinade of garlic, teriyaki (soy is to salty), and olive oil. Some use a tad of Worcestershire. Works on chicken, venison, ducks, doves, pig, mother-in-laws, whatever, but it still isn't strong enough to get rid of that nasty 💩 cow taste. :ROFLMAO:

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
Pluck and gut whole bird. Leave skin on and toss in deep fryer. Season with salt and pepper. Find any recipe you want for a chicken casserole and just sub in the dove meat for chicken.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
How much garlic, how much teriyaki, and how much olive oil do you use in your marinade?
I make just enough marinade to lightly cover the meat in a ziplock bag. Usually no more than 1/2 cup at the most. I "squish" the meat around in the bag every so often. I usually marinade it for an hour or so, rarely overnight. Italian or other vinegar based dressings are too salty and they completely cover the taste of everything. The joke around the camp is you can take a dog 💩 and marinade it in Italian dressing and someone will eat it. :ROFLMAO:

I remove both sides of the breast from the sternum, marinade them for an hour or so, and then make kabobs with peppers, onions, shrooms, squash, 'maters. And I use the same marinade on the veggies too.

As a side note, this little gadget does wonders. Maybe not on doves but everything else, even cow meat. Available on Amazon for under $20.00.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Like most marinades, til it smells and looks good(y)

But y’all and your Italian dressin...:cautious::rolleyes:

Hush yo mouth...I don't bust on your semi-acceptable BBQ....you can leave my dressing marinade alone too. ;) ;)

Geez...with all your whingin I thought I was talking to your brother... *ducks*